LSU v 'Bama

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerGirlDad2022, Sep 17, 2022.

1. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Its good, but its not really green. Just sayin...

2. TigerGirlDad2022

TigerGirlDad2022 Freshman

My wife thinks it's a bit over the top for me to have the Tiger Girl squad autograph my "Tiger Girl Dad" T shirt. What does she know...

65Grad and CalcoTiger like this.
  3. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

your now part of Tiger Nation

If you dont embarrass your daughter and wife you wouldnt fit in

1st Tiger game after i was married to my California wife we came from San Fran to game and i bought a new LSU purple shirt to wear and it was when a tropical storm hit right before game and the dye had not set properly on the shirt and when it rained my entire body turned purple. I looked like a smurf.

mctiger, Chipeace, kcal and 1 other person like this.
  4. TigerGirlDad2022

Calco that's awesome!!! Hahahaha!!!

5. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

Then what is it?

6. Herb

Herb Founding Member

PM me if she's cool with sharing her recipe. The one I have been using is a meld between a green chile stew and "Albuquerque Burrito Gravy". Always looking to up my game.

I get a bushel of Hatch Chile every fall or so and roast them on my BBQ to get me through the winter.

7. BornOnTheBayou

I'll ask her when she gets in. She doesn't use a recipe. She wings it. That & the fact that she's now 76 years old so keep that in mind. IconLOL.gif

ETA: As I said earlier, she doesn't use a so called a recipe. She uses the ingredients & cooking instructions handed down to her by her Dad. The Mescalero Indians in NM taught him how to make their style of green chile.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Herb likes this.
  8. BornOnTheBayou

After thinking about it for a while, why don't you send me your recipe. I'll let her look at it and make any suggestions/recommendations. FYI she roasts peppers pretty much year round so I doubt she makes her chile with Hatch peppers.

9. TigerGirlDad2022

I'm hungry..

10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Hey,
    For some reason it wouldn't let me send this as a private message. Maybe I need to be added as a friend? Not sure.

Here is what I pretty much do when I make green chile, but like most of my cooking each time is a little different depending on circumstances.

I lived in Denver for over 10 years and still have friends and coworkers that live there, so I get a bushel of green chile when I can. Harvest season is usually mid August and if I can't get to Denver I have to rely on friends coming this way or I'll ask them to pick me up a bushel and send it to me (reimbursing via PayPal).
    I get medium to hot chiles and roast them myself when they arrive, then freeze them in a gallon ziploc bag putting in a single layer as the bag lays flat on the counter. I think each bag probably has about a dozen peppers depending on the size of each pepper.

The general "recipe":
    • 1 medium to large white onion chopped
    • 2 of my bags of green chile: roasted, peeled, and chopped - I guess this is a little over 2 cups of green chile if I were to compress it into a measuring cup (I've never measured)
    • 4 big cloves of garlic
    • 2 quarts chicken broth
    • 1 tablespoon Oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
    • 1 teaspoon sage
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    • 1 teaspoon salt (but I usually salt to taste while cooking)
    • 1 tablespoon corn starch
    1. Sautee onions and garlic in corn oil (maybe 1/4 cup) until the onions are nice and translucent.
    2. When the onions are translucent, I throw all of my spices and the cornstarch in with the onion and garlic and let it cook for about a minute or 2 (stirring frequently).
    3. I then add the chicken broth and let it come to a low boil.
    4. Once the liquid starts to boil, I add the chopped green chiles in and let it return to a boil.
    5. Once it returns to a boil, I turn the stove down to a simmer and lety it cook for about an hour, stirring every now and then (maybe every 7-10 minutes).
    6. Throughout the cooking I sample the chile to see if it needs salt and - more importantly - to get a fix of capsaicin oil in my body. :)
    7. About 5-10 minutes before the end of the process, I assess the thickness and usually add a tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in water to make a paste in order to thicken it up.
    We eat off of that for the next few days usually making smothered chicken burritos, heuvos smothered in green chile for breakfast, etc., until it is gone.

BornOnTheBayou and ROY_LA_CA like this.