LSU Undrafted Free Agents

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Apr 27, 2013.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Maybe Shep's best chance is to make the practice squad and learn for a year or two like Trindon Holliday did for his first couple of years in the NFL.

Even after all of these years, I'm not sure what to think about Russell Shepard's talent. I would say he didn't have SEC level talent but there were a few plays sprinkled throughout his career (similar to Holliday but a little less in frequency) that made it natural to wonder if he wasn't used as effectively as possible. I'll be pulling for him but will be surprised if he ever makes a roster.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Problem with Shep is he is not even a home run threat like that of Holliday. He offers very little to any NFL team.

He has to be the most disappointing #1 overall HS prospect rated by rivals in their history.

3. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Shep's best bet to play in the NFL is at safety and on special teams.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I always thought that we under-utilized Ford, but he honetly would have been much better off in a spread/spread-option type of offense. I can see the knocks on him of not being a very good blocker and having a tendency to bust everything outside. For as strong as he is, he wasn't ever really in a hurry to lay the wood.

5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I agree with the comparison to Holliday but did want to point out that Shep averaged 6.88 yards per rush during his LSU career. For at least a couple of those years, I knew he was getting the ball before the snap because of how predictable our offense had become (same could be said of Holliday at times). That makes the average even more impressive.

He was extremely elusive at the highest level of Texas high school football. I'm happy that the Eagles are giving him a chance because I think it will answer some questions. If he somehow sticks in the NFL for a few years, then we probably did not utilize him correctly. Otherwise, he was just overrated coming out of high school.

6. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

This guy praising Ford is the Chicago Bears Radio Network Sideline Reporter/Host of Bears All Access

Zach Zaidman @ZachZaidman
    8h
    LSU RB Michael Ford impressing
    coaching staff at #Bears rookie
    minicamp, especially with his return
    skills on special teams.

StaceyO likes this.
  7. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

8. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Jeremy Stoltz of Bears Report:

"Ford stands out amongst rookies...Michael Ford was impressive in rookie minicamp both as a ball carrier and kick returner"

9. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Shep (#11) and Michael Vick (#7). the Eagles have Shep listed as a WR on their official roster

[​IMG]

10. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Philadelphia Eagles' Brad Wing speaks to members of the media during an availability after rookie camp at the team's NFL football practice facility on Friday, May 10, 2013, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

[​IMG]