LSU To Host Regional

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by COTiger, May 26, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What does that mean? Right now Vanderbilt is the #1 team and they are a private university. The other day I heard the radio guy saying something about how they were able to provide financial aid to more players than the NCAA limit on baseball scholarships. Can't USC do the same?

lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Isn't UCLA the #1 seed?

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe. It has to be either them or Vanderbilt.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Baton Rouge regional is paired with the Athens regional. If we win ours and anybody other than Georgia wins Athens would we host the super?

5. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Yes.

6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Aren't you supposed to be yelling at some kids to get off your lawn and pull their pants up?:p

lsu-i-like, uscvball and shane0911 like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That would be @Kikicaca

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Effing Stoney Brook again

Sigh

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I would need to know exactly what was said and in what context. My guess is stacking academic scholarships. I know USC does not. However, let's consider specifics.

The first major changes the NCAA implemented regarding scholarships was in '73 after Title IX. 2 more changes were made in '78, and '92, each of which limited head count and equivalency for different sports. As of today, baseball is allotted 11.7 players which is really a pool of money that each coach can choose to split up as they want. Most give full rides to a couple marquis players and divide the rest with an NCAA-designated amount equal to a max of 27 players and a minimum of 25% scholarship for ALL players who are receiving any money.

UCLA Cost to Attend is $35k/year
    USC Cost to Attend is $71k/year

At 25%, ucla would yield a scholarship worth $8,750 while USC's would be worth $17,756. Sounds great for USC until you realize that ucla would then cost $26k/year and USC would be at $53k/year. Where do YOU think recruits are more likely to go? As for supplementing athletic money with academic aid, that is also a game of numbers. Vandy had 33,000 applications and at 6% will end up with 1,980 incoming freshmen. USC had 67,000 and will admit $7,370. There are far too many "regular" students who want to attend USC such that they don't set aside much money for academic aid where athletes are concerned. USC wants and is looking for students who can pay full tuition.

Prime example....last year I was at a soccer tournament heavily attended by D1 coaches. As I walked by one field, I recognized Kidane McAlpine, the USC women's coach. I told one of the dads on my daughter's team, just casually, but his daughter was still being recruited (mostly D2 and D3) so he decides he's going to chat with Kidane. I followed along for laughs. He starts a big sell job, reciting statistics, making his daughter sound like Pele. Kidane asks, "Does she need money?" "Yes, everyone does." "Well, USC isn't the place for her because I have no money. USC has too many kids who get merit aid. They have nothing for athletes."

Since that first scholarship adjustment I mentioned, how has USC fared in the CWS? Only 2 of the 12 titles since. How many winners since then have been private vs public?

10. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Slow nothing. I resent being told LSU needs a map to find omaha in any context regardless of who it was directed to. The notion should not have even been uttered and THAT was the correction I made. Anything said after ain't worth the effort to read because it does not apply.

We got a rep in that town that not many others can remotely compare to, but a map of baton rouge to omaha shouldn't even exist. We can walk there backwards and blind folded in a snow storm with plenty of boudin to go around, guided only by the sun.