LSU targets Arkansas Commit

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by tigerchick46, Jul 24, 2012.

1. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Per ESPN Insider........

Tight ends DeSean Smith (Lake Charles, La./Barbe) and Logan Stokes (Muscle Shoals, Ala./Northeast Mississippi Community College) are both verbally committed to LSU. The Tigers are looking to add a third tight end to this year's recruiting class.
    "...TE Deondre Skinner (Patterson, La/Patterson), an Arkansas commit from Patterson HS, got an offer from LSU, which plans to take three tight ends, per Skinner's discussion with the Tigers' staff," Mike Coppage of Scout.com reported.
    Skinner could seriously consider flipping from Arkansas to LSU after the Razorbacks landed its top in-state target and fellow tight end Hunter Henry (Little Rock, Ark./Pulaski Academy).
    LSU also has offers out to a pair of uncommitted tight end recruits, Brian Bridgewater (Baton Rouge, La./Episcopal) and Beau Sandland (Woodland Hills, Calif./Pierce College), if Skinner chooses to remain with Arkansas.

2. Milesthebest

Milesthebest Veteran Member

Unless LSU doesn't take Stokes, I hope Skinner sticks with Arkansas...3 TEs in a class is 1 too many. As far "as offers out to a pair of uncommitted tight ends", my guess is those have expired. LSU only has 4 or 5 spots left and I don't seen another TE fitting in those slots. LSU needs MORE DL, MORE secondary signees, etc. My own guess is that LSU takes 2 TEs (either Smith and Stokes or Smith and Skinner).

3. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

Let's not forget that some TE recruits in LSU history have been moved to other positions. Marcus Spears and Kyle Kipps come to mind. They are big bodied, athletic young men usually with good speed and hands.

Can anyone else come up with other TE recruits that were moved to other positions?

4. Milesthebest

Milesthebest Veteran Member

I think more have moved to other positions as you suggested but the problem is they haven't done that well. Matt Branch is one example who I believe is still buried on the OL depth chart and he came out of HS as a TE and listed as such on signing day. To be honest, if there has been one position that has disappointed (probably as least as much as QB even though not as important), it is TE. Let's stroll down memory lane in the last several TE commits (listed that way on signing day):

Lott - total bust
    Joseph - hasn't become any kind of a factor
    Corbin - left early
    Russian - snapper only as it turned out
    T. Edwards - see Joseph
    T Dickson - still has time but so far squat unlike his brother who IMO was the last good LSU TE
    Jacobs - see Joseph and Edwards

LSU is NOT TE U...that is for sure. They sign as many as almost any college in America and haven't had a good one since Richard Dickson left.

stevescookin likes this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

If Skinner were to sign and switch positions, it would only be wide receiver. Here's not big enough to bulk up to an o-line position, and he doesn't play defense at all at Patterson. But he's an ideal size now for a WR (though he's not very fast), and has good hands. He's also a pretty good basketball player, so you know he can jump and has good body control in the air. If you were going to compare his skill set to a pro WR, think Marques Colston.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Don't give up on Dickson and Jacobs yet, especially Jacobs. TE's have been very under-utilized over the last four years, because we just haven't had much of a passing game, and they've been locked out by Peterson and Clements anyway. Peterson's departure gives one of them room to step up into what should be a much-more pass friendly offense this season.

stevescookin likes this.
  7. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

I can see taking 3. Aren't we about to have some attrition at the position? Dickson hasn't produced yet and is still kind of small. Clement is a SR. Edwards is a SR. You've got Gordon from 2012 recruiting class. And that's pretty much it. We have no idea if John Thomas from Airline will ever qualify, and even if he does he'll almost certainly be an O-Lineman.

So none of our currents are world-beaters. Plus, Smith and Stokes are two different types of TE. Stokes is like an extra blocker (Y). Smith, more of an H-back, if used effectively, should be like a Gronk or Jimmy Graham. Same with Skinner.

I've seen Bridgewater on the Bball court and he moves really well for a guy his size. I don't know what his hands were like because he didn't touch the ball a great deal when I saw him, but he's a big boy. He looks more than 220. I don't see any way he stays a TE. Looks like he can grow into a "new breed" left tackle with a redshirt year and maybe a year on the pine. His frame looked like it could carry 300 lbs. easily, and still be quick and muscular with it. So if he's smart, he'll be thinking more Joe Thomas than Jimmy Graham. But basketball guys playing TE is popular now so he may want to be a pass catcher.

8. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Completely forgot about Jacobs. I still don't see a problem taking 3 in one class with the rate we're going to lose them and the rate those guys convert to other positions.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Maybe looking for athletic tight ends is a signal that we've finally got a QB that can make reads and go to secondary receivers when necessary.

It also could mean that th eOL is going to be good enough for a while that they don't need any blocking help all game long....just in certain situations.

Milesthebest and asignupe99 like this.
  10. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

Mettenberger is the answer for the current situation. I do believe that Lee should have played in the championship game. I will never understand why Les did not play him. T-bob and Shephard may hold the answers. It is still totally unexceptable that Les has "not" come clean. I have watched that tape of the game over and over again. The team looked like they could have cared less.

Les you have some explain'in to do!!!!

In my opinion it is the second time Les has ruined our chances.

stevescookin likes this.