LSU Student Planning to Burn American Flag in "Peaceful Protest"

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CaseyLSU, May 11, 2011.

1. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

I agree. I don't have a problem with the Ranger RGT, SF or Airborne units wearing them-it's part of their lineage and a rite of passage (except the Airborne units, anyone can be assigned to them).

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Have to hand it to you, Supa, you make your case very well. (Doesn't hurt when you're arguing for something the courts have already decided in your favor, but I chose to disagree :thumb:) I could make furthur arguments on the subjects of Selective Service and the Jena Six, but there doesn't seem to be much of a point. I hereby concede that I cannot win this argument.

My feelings on the constitutionality of flag burning are as follows: It would not have even been brought to the court if there were not opposing views on the issue. And law (constitutionality) is often a concept of human viewpoint. Let's face it, if we can agree that murder is wrong, but then say there are cases where one person killing another is defensible and just, then we can also agree that no law is absolute. Some future court may decide the flag is constitutionally protected after all. It's a slippery slope issue. I, for instance, don't believe those who say they support the Second Amendment, but they think automatic weapons should be outlawed. I think if they get one type of gun banned today, tomorrow they'll go after another, until eventually, they get them all. By the same token, I can understand why there would be resistance to any limit on "free speech." And you have to remember, I'm in the TV business. Interpretations of the First Amendment affect almost everything I do in my job. So you can believe it when I say I appreciate the right of free speech. My one and only exception will always be that of protecting the flag.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

In a related note, both the Boy Scouts and the American Legion accept retired and dilapidated US flags and have a code-proper flag burning ceremony each year on Flag Day. But there is a statewide burn ban because of the drought and it must be postponed.