LSU projected ranking when you wake up tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 13, 2018.

1. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

As an alumnus of a school that one three FCS playoff championships, the 16 team 4 week playoff format would work great here. Take the ten !-A conference champions and the next six highest ranked teams by committee. Seed the teams, highest ranked team is home team or play it down through the bowl system. Trust me it's a great ride.....
    And sure a couple of teams will be ticked off but you can be assured there is no discussion about what if afterward.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You cannot be serious. First round might look something like this:

Based on the rankings as of today.

Alabama vs Sun Belt champ
    Ohio State vs CUSA champ
    Clemson vs MAC champ
    Notre Dame vs AAF champ
    LSU vs Mountain West champ
    Michigan vs Oregon
    Texas vs Florida
    Georgia vs Oklahoma.

3. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

yep, bet there would be at least one major first round upset

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Maybe Florida beats Texas or Oregon beats Michigan but the rest are mostly blowouts that millions of viewers will change the channel by halftime. No way a USL beats Alabama (didn't they just play? USL is leading the SBC West with an overall 4-3 record. That's a game I would really want to watch again)
    or UAB (the current CUSA leader) beats Ohio State.

GiantDuckFan and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

That line up proves that the concept is a joke. There is no way that any of the non power 5 opponents would deserve a place. They’re the teams that top reanked schools are castigated for scheduling. It would destroy the regular season.

LSU_4_LIFE and Bengal B like this.
  6. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

G5 schools either schedule 4 non conference games against top tier Power 5 teams who are consistently ranked preferably so they’re at least respectable teams, teams like Rutgers, Kansas and Oregon State won’t cut it. Schedule and beat those P5 teams as well as win out in their conference and they can have a seat. I say that because no group of 5 school can do that and if they do, then ok, let them in.

Or college football needs to adopt something similar to basketball (like an NIT bracket). Which won’t happen either. But I know it isn’t fair for them to miss out on having a shot, but....... too bad doo dad.

Its more unfair to a 2 loss power 5 team who had to navigate a schedule against 7 ranked teams to watch a G5 team to beat a bunch of nobodies get in because they’re undefeated. I would hate to see it become a 16 team playoff. 8 is already a lot.

Hell, Baylor and TCU were being criticized and jumped for weak out of conference games. Those G5 have to go out and play and beat some quality teams.

lsu-i-like and Bengal B like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

It isn’t like G5 teams can dictate that traditional P5 powers get on their schedule. That’s not a real expectation.

I can’t believe there is sympathy for P5 teams who have every opportunity in the world to succeed on the field, but don’t. G5 teams would kill for that opportunity.

Not to mention how much sense it makes from a business perspective.

8. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Been said multiple times by many diff ways. P5 champs then at-large to undefeated G5 and anybody ranked after that. Gumps prob still get their do-over that way.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

To me it’s not as much about showing sympathy as it is about not rewarding a team for going undefeated against a bunch bad teams. You can’t punish a team for losing 2 of 7 ranked teams AND reward another team for playing and beating 0 ranked teams.

Let’s be honest. Is it fair as it stands? No. But the playing fields are not even equal within the power 5 and that’s why the committee gets involved. How many other playoff candidates have had to play 7 ranked teams? 4 Top 10 teams?

I know Auburn and Miami are not ranked anymore but they were top 10 when we played them. The wheels fell off after we beat them. If they beat us, it may be a different story for those 2 teams.

Keep us out for losing 2, ok. But don’t reward a G5 team pouncing a bunch of bad teams all year because we lost 2 and lost our spot.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

I should have clarified, 8 team playoff. And G5 only get at-large if undefeated. From there the playoff rank will fill in remainder. Again, keeps gumps happy which is all that matters to the NCAA and SEC offices.

lsu-i-like and LSU_4_LIFE like this.