LSU must not waste the 2017 season on Etling

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

But pulease let's not say we will be a playoff team next year because it is unlikely.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

And there is the rub

So you go 9-3, you play in the Capitol one bowl and you start 2018 with no experience at QB. I don't get the point of that.

3. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Exactly --all opinions in here are interesting and we all row in the same boat but sometimes there's a lot of simplicity. Yeah let's have 2 quarterbacks. Gee whose turn is it to stop at 'Quarterbacks are Us' and pick up two dual threat Heisman candidates?? It ain't that easy. Bring in Canada tweak the offensive plan and see what lands . ANYTHING is better than what we had last year at this time -- Elmer and Sham Cam

4. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

I don't want hear how great our o line is either . Every August it's hype and they get boy buggered by the Crimson Flow d line. Make them earn it.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Hmm, how much college experience did Bama's qb have to start this year?

Whomever doesn't start next year will still be in the program for a year before 2018. The sky is not falling. I am pretty sure that Canada will make the right choice. He gets paid to do that.

COTiger likes this.
  6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I won't get my hopes up anymore, Les killed that. At least not until we've had a full season or two with the new HC and OC. I'm just going to go into each season optimistic and hope LSU plays well for 4 qtrs. for all 12 games. Let the chips fall where they may.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Do you think it will ultimately be Canada's choice? I mean if you are the head coach, would you allow your coordinator to chose who the starting QB is? The most important player on the field? How many head coaches have ever done that? I'd be very impressed with coach O if he allowed Canada to choose the starting QB.

8. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

My guess is that Coach O, is sincere and will give his OC that degree of responsibility. It's in his interest, he's learned that he's not the Saban type who can successfully micro-manage.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I understand that but can you name any time where you felt the coordinator made the choice on who the starting QB would be? Position subs, other positions, sure, but deciding who the starting QB is?

10. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

I honestly don't know the answer to your question and would appreciate anyone posting who knows. However, if there was a disagreement between a HC and OC as to who would start, I'd be surprised if that disagreement was ever made public, much less who deferred to the others judgement. O's mentor on coaching is Pete Carrol and pulling up a quote from the past, "Carroll's Trojans have always been run by a solid offensive coordinator who has not been afraid to tell the boss to mind his own defensive business."

Side note... The above quote comes from... http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/04/sports/sp-plaschke4
    ... which argued that, "USC's Pete Carroll (was) left alone at the top (in 2009). Seven key coaches have left the program in the last few years, and the football coach now has an unchallenged voice that might be leaving him hoarse and distracted" --- and that Carrol may have had to learn the hard way that no one, not even himself can do it all without help --- A lesson that has burned into O.

didit and TwistedTiger like this.