LSU lowering admission standards?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CParso, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

For the longest time LSU was completely against the garages. The claim I got when i complained to the Parking office that it costs LSU $1000 per year for a single parking space in the existing lots, it would cost $10,000 per space for a garage. No clue who they paid to come up with those numbers.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

With the amount of land they save it will make up for the difference.

I think many will be surprised at how good the new garages look these days. I know at Alabama (and I think Georgia) they are brick and look like buildings. You would have no idea they were garages unless you were up close. Plus it allows for more trees and classrooms than those monstrous lots like the one next to CEBA.

This link has a picture of a garage at Alabama.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I have wanted them to put up garages for years. Back when i was parking on the street with the staff passes proved to me that LSU just did not care about the parking problem.

Still. it does not cost $10,000 per year per parking spot.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Garages can also become frustrating traffic jams at 8:00 and 4:30 and at every class break. 24-hour security can be a costly issue in parking garages, too. They will be major safety issues for tailgaters at football games and a huge traffic nightmare post-game. They could fill up with pedestrians on rainy home game saturdays and become a crowd problem.

There are always trade-offs. A mix of garages in the central campus and big parking lots on the periphery will probably be best.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Yeah, thats what I would like...not just all garages.

A garage with a lot would be defined as a central parking area. I realize they cost too much anyways to put everywhere and safety would be an issue if there weren't lots adjacent to them.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Yes loans are never the smart choice. Parents need to learn to save for their kids college, and if they don't save enough their kids need to do what I did... get a job or go to a cheaper college. Taking out tens of thousands of dollars in loans on the hopes that you will land a job upon graduating is not smart.

To the point increasing tuition will only serve to increase the debt load of LSU graduates and thus cut back on alumni donations. LSU needs to increase fundraising and get that billion dollar endowment.

7. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Point taken, however, let be be a little clearer. Alumni "In the State"...

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

no you can tell. at least from 2 sides. i'll pay more attention next time.

cant they make tons of money by charging fball fans$30/game?

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Government sponsored, interest deferred loans are smart, and in other cases normal loans are as well. The job I could get with an LSU business degree versus SLU could (and should) very well make up for the difference in tuition rates.

Most of our alumni donations don't come from people that have to worry about a couple grand in student loans...

Fundraising definitely needs to go up, but that isn't the only solution.

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

i didnt mean you literally couldnt tell. but the alabama one is a nice building for a parking garage.

charging money for parking wont even compare to the amount of room and money would save for future buildings or whatever else they want to put there.