LSU lowering admission standards?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by CParso, Mar 10, 2008.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/16373416.html?showAll=y&c=y

"LSU officials are working on an admissions policy that relies less on grades and test scores — while also strengthening ties with community colleges — in order to increase enrollment numbers"

So long as this is done appropriately (requirements aren't lowered too far), I think this will be a very good thing. I was 110% behind raising the admission standards, but IMO they have been raised a little bit too high and haven't left any "wiggle room" for admission based on other factors.

Since LSU can never seem to get enough state funding, we need the extra tuition from the increased enrollment. O'Keefe took LSU down to about 28,000 which would be great if not for the tuition factor, but Lombardi's goal for LSU is 32,000 and I don't think this will substantially change anything associated with the academic side yet will bring in a lot more money for the university.

Thoughts?

2. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

man, I hope not...this is a "bad" idea!

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Not a big fan. There are 300 state universities...people can get in somewhere.

4. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

There are other ways to increase enrollment...like not having the cheesy LSU ads

5. Carface

Carface What the...?

You're living in the past. Welcome to the now. :hihi:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69cx6d8qJlE[/media]

6. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Case in point, I suppose...(Who the hell was that anyway, I've never heard the song)

7. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Funny... O'Keefe was all about making the school harder to get into. He's gone for a month and the standards are getting lowered. :rofl:

8. Carface

Carface What the...?

That's from a couple of years ago. LSU's brilliant (said tongue in cheek) slogan was "Welcome to the Now" and "Evo Devo" (which I think means Evolution Development). Why? I don't know. The cheese fest that is the song in that video is by a local band named the Terms. A few months after this video came out, they were in a huge vehicle accident up around Shreveport while traveling to a gig. I think some of them are still going through rehab today.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The physical facility at LSU Baton Rouge must be renovated and expanded to accommodate more than 30,000 students. It's an overcrowded mess right now with severe parking/traffic problems, decrepit original buildings, and a master plan that is unfunded.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

we'll see if jindal can get this corrected.