LSU Football: Things to win back

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Perple, Aug 6, 2022.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

DBU

I've been thinking this for a long time. It's time to actually earn back the title of "DBU". Not just claiming it every year, when we clearly are not. I don't care about the ESPN style acronym DBU, it's about having a really killer Defensive Backfield. that other teams QBs actually fear a lot. It's been a very long time. Talking about the 2009- 2012 teams with those type defensive backfields. Peterson, Mathieu, Claiborne, Reid, Chad Jones & others. I think 2012 is about the last LSU DB Corp that really played tough & played together. Back when we had backups like Ron Brooks & barely missed a beat.

These guys were just tough & playebeincredibly hard & focused. There was an attitude & toughness I haven't seen since then. Those DB corps backed up almost everything on the field. Senior leadership & coaching them was paramount. I know it seemed to start with DB Coach Ron Cooper in 2009-2011. Then Corey Raymond afterwards.

Anyway, I realize these type guys just don't grow on trees & some can never be replaced in LSU lore. Maybe they just don't make players like this anymore, I don't know.

I'm hoping we can start recruiting the very best of the best DB's in the country sometime soon again. Hopefully we'll put a premium on getting these type guys in an LSU uniform. The Butkus & Bednarik Awards need to return to LSU.

Anyway, good luck to new DBs Coach Robert Steeples.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  2. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Nice thoughts and I agree, but you probably mean the other Corey

Perple likes this.
  3. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Yep, Thanks. Changed it to Corey Raymond, instead of Corey Webster.

4. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I agree we need to earn that DBU status back. We need that SWAG back big time! IMO, Stingley was great for one season and clearly drafted on potential, not on the field performance. I realize he was hurt part of the time, but he wasn't near the DB he was his first year even when he was at full speed. I ready to see Jamal Adams, Tyran Mathieu or Patrick Peterson type players roam the secondary. Those guys thrived on competition and dared other teams to throw that way!

Perple likes this.