LSU Football - Photographic History, pre-1980

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Oct 30, 2009.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

In the 1930's, LSU went to three straight back-to-back-to-back Sugar Bowls ('35, '36, '37), winning 2 back-to-back SEC Championships ('35, '36) and being awarded 2 back-to-back National Championships in '35 and '36 (two by Williamson and one by Sagarin... although LSU recognizes neither of them). The AP Poll began in 1936 and gave LSU a final ranking of #2 in '36 and #8 in '37.

[​IMG]
    Sugar Bowl game in New Orleans Louisiana in the late 1930's -- Louisiana State University in dark jerseys.

[​IMG]

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Pictures of Tiger Stadium during the 1930's...

[​IMG]
    1936 -- #2 LSU vs #19 Tulane (LSU won 33-0). Louisiana Governor Leche was a loyalist to Huey Long.

[​IMG]
    The wrap around side addition to the stadium was a federal Works Progress Adminstration (WPA) project, part of FDR's "New Deal."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

John, I swear this photographic series is the absolute best posting you've ever done on TF. I've been truly captivated by the pictures of these men.

What's revealing is how they have to have the same things on their minds that we do right now before big games...and how Tiger Nation transcends time and is not just a present day alliance of like minded people.

Incredible job John, and all the others who researched this.

We have to beat Bama this week for all those departed souls who no doubt want us to vanquish the Crimson Tide, nee Yellow Hammers !!!!

:tigereye:

1 person likes this.
  4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Looks alot like Gonzaga's modern day teams.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

John, those pictures are incredible! They remind me of the scene in "Dead Poet's Society," where Robin Williams tells his students to lean closer to the old pictures of the guys who were now "worm food," whispering "Carpe Diem" to the boys in the movie.

6. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

:thumb: Wonder what ole Huey was telling that ref before the game ?

2 people like this.
  7. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Thanks for the pics. Very enjoyable looking in the past. If Long and others could see it now, they sure would be proud.
    Which end of the stadium is open in these pics, the North or South side? Just trying to get a reference to what is there now. I can't wait to show these to my son. He is an absolute LSU nut at 16.....I am so proud.:thumb: Thanks again.

8. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

Thanks to all of you who posted photos, that was awesome. I love looking at old photos like that. My parents both graduated from LSU in the '49 and '50 and it's really cool to go and look through the Gumbo and see the campus and sports photos.

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My uncle has a Gumbo from around '67, and there is an awesome picture of the new bridge being built, only spanning half of the river.

10. lsu_mackey

lsu_mackey Agent Purple

"$200 if you throw the game in our favor, bub"