LSU extends Les Miles' contract to 2012

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gotabyte, Dec 6, 2007.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

jesuit_flyer, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree with it.

Let me offer my perspective on your criticisms of Les.

Rampant penalties. I don't totally lay 100% of the blame on Les and the coaching staff. You can coach and point out mistakes to the players until you are blue in the face. You can't be on the field with them reminding them to line up in the proper position, not to raise up before the snap count or jump from the line of scrimmage before the snap count. The players must bear some responsibility.

Game planning. You can break down film of your opponents and put the plan together. The players have got to execute. Plus you have to be flexible enough to go to Plan B if Plan A isn't working. On the D side of the ball, there are times when I would have liked to have seen us blitz more. But that's me speaking. Do I have the credentials of Bo Pelini and his assistants. Hell no I don't. I have the freedom to be critical of our defensive game plan on Tiger Forums, but the chance of me providing any criticism or suggestions to Coach Pelini rank right up there with the snowball in you know where.

Close calls against inferior teams. We played a brutal 13 game schedule this year. Did I expect our Tigers to play all 13 opponents as we did against Va Tech? Not really. Remember we're talking about young men between the ages of 18 - 22 who are student athletes. We had close calls, but I never saw our Tigers quit. They gave it their all for 60 minutes or longer.

Is Les Miles the perfect coach? Of course not. Does he have flaws? Of course he does. Clock management jumps out immediately.

I'll tell you what Les does have. HEART. It's obvious he loves LSU. It's obvious he loves his players. GUTS. See the number of successful 4th down conversion. CHARACTER. He's got it in spades.

Will I be critical of him in the future? You damn right I will. But at the end of the day, when it's all said and done I will be thankful that he is coaching our Tigers.

3 people like this.
  2. jesuit_flyer

jesuit_flyer Founding Member

It just seems that he has been exceedingly lucky and to be compensated as one of the best coaches in the country...well good for him.

All of those "gutsy" 4th down do or die situations were predicated by us being outplayed leading up to that point. Should we have needed a 4th down conversion to beat an Alabama team that UL Monroe brought to its knees? We can only use the excuse "every team gets up for us" for so long.

How about all of the games over the last three years where the team hasn't been or doesn't seem ready to play in the first half? Perhaps we know we're so much better we can just coast?

As far as who would be a better coach? I have no idea. I don't know how much credit/blame should go to Miles vs Crowton vs Pellini. Ultimately the field performance of the team is owned by the coach so if you want more of the same - whatever that is in your eyes - it appears you will have it.

3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Once again, valid points from your perspective.

Give some credit to the opposition that led to those gutsy 4th down calls. I've been watching college footall for a lot of years and there is more parity today than ever.

1st half performance. I haven't been pleased with it either. Is it the players, the coaches, or a combination of both. I don't know. If I had the answer I'd PM red55 and ask him to hand carry it to Coach Miles.

Coach Miles has built a solid foundation in his first three years and the Tigers have had a remarkable run under his leadership. The bar has been set and with the new deal he just signed it's up to Coach Miles to continue leading the Tigers to national prominence.

1 person likes this.
  4. tigerhoss

tigerhoss Founding Member

Espn just reported there is a 40% chance Miles will leave for Michigan. But that will be a ruse. The move will take place after he wins the national title. Michigan will "hire" him, then Ohio State will fire Tressel because he is an idioy coach who only won 11 games and got his team to the National Championship game. They will then hire Miles who will be revealed as a long-time secret double-agent OSU fan and who has really longed for the Ohio State coaching job.

If he does not go to Michigan there is a 60% chance he will go directly to Ohio State.

There is a 0% chance he will coach LSU,

Really.

Kirk Herbstreit, former Ohio State QB, has a reliable source for this fact.

5. westrockytiger

westrockytiger Freshman

ARE YOU SERIOUS THEY SAID THIS? DO YOU HAVE A LINK. I REALLY HOPE YOUR JOKING. THEY ARE STILL CALLING LESTICLE A LIAR.:rofl:

6. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

I was one of the ones that was ready to help him pack BUT after the way he handle the Mi****gun situation and the way this team loves him I will stand behind him 100%. Sure there are alot of things I don't like about him but hell there are a lot of so called great coches that lost with better teams to weaker teams ( see USC, Oklahoma, West Virgina, tOSU)

I think the MAN that miles is better than any coach in college football. His players will never quit and they will walk threw hell form him. I like the way he handles his players they know he will never quit on them. The longer he stays the more people will understand this.

7. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

are you serious??? can you say "gullible"?? :wink:

8. westrockytiger

westrockytiger Freshman

Just asking. The way ESPN has been lately, it wouldn't suprise me one bit:rolleye33:

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Jesuit isn't off his rocker with his post.

Les Miles is a perplexing coach.

He is a top notch recruiter, that's been well established (3 year period to judge it).

He is a man of high integrity, after seeing what's happened with Saban, it's refreshing.

He plays to win, nobody can discount that (all the fourth down plays, trick plays well thought out, etc). I have always begged for a coach with such les-ticles. We got him. He won't change from that mode.

But then you get a coach who has absolutely no clock management skills. I mean absolutely clueless.

The team does seem to underperform more times than not, and allows teams to "stick around". Maybe that is simply perception, not reality. I have struggled with this issue, to say the least. Are we that much better talent wise than most everybody else? Is the SEC simply not a conference you will ever be able to dominate (see Steve Spurrier and the 90s)? I dunno, I can't definitely say one way or the other. Its frustrating watching this team play, that's all I know. Maybe I love this team too damn much.

He doesn't speak well when interviewed, especially at halftime of a game. When he is in a more relaxed atmosphere, he performs much better I noticed.

What does it all mean? We have an imperfect coach. Wow, what a concept huh?

You think USC fans wonder how in the hell does Carroll blow the UCLA game last year and the Stanford game this year? That's 2 national championships basically handed to them had they won games in which they were heavily favored. LSU's losses to both Kentucky and Arkansas pale in comparision to those botched jobs by Carroll. Rodriguez choked away a championship too. I mean he phuckin choked. That's unforgivable, I am sorry. The great Bob Stoops didn't have his backup QB ready to play against TTech (see first half) and didn't gameplan his defense well at all, when he needed them most. And he lost to Colorado for goodness sake. Coach Beamer played prevent defense the last 3 minutes of the first Boston College game. And it prevented a victory and a chance at a national title. Some pretty damn fine coaches with fireable offenses I would say.

We lost to 2 Heisman caliber players (Woodson and McFadden) and it still took our opponents 3 overtimes in which to do it.

In conclusion, I'll take my no clock managing, great recruiting, LOYAL, aggressive chance taking, poor public speaking, brash, highest winning percentage in the history of LSU Head Coach all the way to the bank to our 2007 national championship.

Thanks for reading.

1 person likes this.
  10. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Not trying requote it all but ditto...