LSU Bball tonight after awards show!! ESPN

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SonnyLoco, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I guess I'll sign off by saying thanks for supporting the team by going out to watch 'em.

You can say this. This is pretty fun team to watch if you like threes and blocks.

And, what would fill the boards in January through March, if we didn't have the fire Brady threads? :lol: :redface:

2. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

We will have the Fire Miles threads if he loses against OSU.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I agree on this one.
    Thats why we should've changed the defense.
    They weren't exactly on fire from 3 point range and like you said I think they had one player hitting threes in the second half.
    It was just a thought, once the momentum was gone it seems you had to try something but maybe nothing would've worked.

I also thought that this team didn't finish well in last 2 minutes of the first half.
    Bad shot selection so I think you could say that they need to learn how to close out halves.

I pretty much agree with everything else you said.
    If this team plays anything like tonight and learns to not make as many mistakes they will have a shot at making the NCAA tournament.
    I see a lot of positives, playing without TM, no way I thought they were capable of beating a top 25 team much less a blow out.
    When is the last time an LSU basketball team had 13 blocks in a game?
    I don't remember when, Stanley and Shaq perhaps.
    This team seems to have improved quite a bit since the Maui Invitational.
    Not so many turnovers if memory serves me correctly.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

In basketball, playing teams close carries less weight than it does in football. Still, it looks like this team has promise. After a crazy football season, I'll probably be a little unmoved by the ups and downs it looks like our basketball team will face, at least early in the season. Is Brady a good coach? :confused: I doubt Bertman will make a move regardless of how the season plays out.

5. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Villanova had an 8 point turnaround in 3 possessions. Foul on a 3, a quick turnover for points and a foul on another three. That set the pace for the rest of the game. LSU lost it's composure. We had two runouts for 1 point. If we get two and the foul on one of those the game is over.

The time out wasn't called because as someone pointed out they wanted to try and catch them out of position in transition. Until you understand the intricacies of coaching and play calling I think you should let the coaching staff handle the coaching and wait for an explanation before you scream for a coaches head.

What I saw was a very young team make too many mental errors under pressure. I also saw a team that can likely play tough against any team in the country. This team was projected to finish last in the SEC West. I bet it turns our much better. What I've seen that is encouraging is the play against lesser opponents. We handle them pretty well whereas last season we struggled to get wins. Once we find a rhythm I feel like this team will do well. We will miss Tas though. He is on the floor last night we win.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

OK!!! You know basketball season has started when the Brady boo birds are out and folks are debating the virtues of Hoops on the boards! :)

Must be dead time in football... :hihi:

I appreciate the support of the team brothers. The last few posts have been positive. And, I'll say again like I did on another thread. This lost hurt big time for me even as a Brady supporter, b/c you just saw that if this team won this game, this young team would see the fruits of their labors the last couple of weeks.

But, to the question above, Is Brady a Good Coach? I think there's something to be said for folks who don't study or play the game to chill just a little bit. What is a testament of coaching? Game coaching, coaching day to day, recruiting, making sure your kids graduate and grow up as good citizens? There's a lot to this job. Brady probably does some of it well and others of it not as well. Just like Brown did, just like most coaches do. I mean I'd love John Wooden to come out of retirement to coach the Tigers, but it ain't happenin'.:yelwink2:

But, to piggyback on something said earlier. What about the improvement from Maui to last night? After close games in Maui where the team turned the ball over and couldn't guard people, this team came out playing better d, getting 13 blocks, had this 'Nova team at like 30 something points through 2/3rds of the game--is that coaching? Overall last night, they didn't shoot a GREAT percentage, but they also didn't turn the ball over too much (for the first 32 minutes) in light of 'Nova pressing (I mean for once in a long time, we've got kids like Spencer, Thornton, Temple, breaking a press! :) --is that coaching? They just didn't know how to finish a game they had a lead in. They're used to catching up and playing from behind, and last night they experienced what it's like to play ahead and protect (or not) a lead. That's why the season is 30+ games...

I'll also say that you probably judge the coaching at the end of the year, or in the middle of the year if the kids just aren't responding. I don't think I've ever seen a Brady team just plain not responding or hustling or trying hard. You can certainly criticize coaches for the in-game decisions, but that's every coach, not just Brady.

If Brady's team is not competitive and not improving by year's end, there's certainly room to question him being here.

7. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

My biggest problem with Coach Brady is how he runs the offense...He is a great defensive coach and very intense in the sideline, which is something that I like...But, his teams always struggle offensively...I compare it to the Cleveland Cavaliers, where everybody just stands around and waits for Lebron to make something happen...There's a little problem with that, Lebron doesn't play for LSU, what we do is make 3 pasess close to the halfcourt and whoever ends up with the ball at the 15 second mark holds it till there's only 5 seconds left and then takes a wild shot.

Late in the game with the game struggling offensively, Terry Martin was on t he bench doing nothing...At that point he needed to be in the game, cause Spencer was struggling with the pressure by Nova.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

You know I kind of see where you're coming from, but this offense is actually different from teams of the past where clearly the ball was going into the post. At least now there is cutting, screening and jumpshooting.

The only issue for the team last night was when the game got tight, some of the discipline and leadership to get that offense going broke down a little. It also has something to do as you say, with a Freshman PG (Bo) playing on national TV in a tight game, and turning the ball over, but it had something to do with Garrett Temple fouling when he didn't have to and D Mason missing 5 out of 7 free throws.

The interesting debate here is I'm not sure I would have had Terry Martin in the game. He might have chucked up some threes, but the kid's really disappointed me with his handle, passing and defense. Look at his stats, his A2TO ratio is worse than Spencer's, and I think Spencer's a better ball handler to handle the press. I think that's why John had Terry on the bench. You can maybe wonder if you go small and put Terry in for CJohnson for another guard to not turnover the ball, but then you give up interior d and you put a 40% FTer (why Martin shoots this, I don't know) into the game.

Brady's "strategy" was (I think) eat up some of the clock, protect the ball, get fouled and go to the foul line. A usually very solid FT shooting team (one of the better team %s in recent memory) went like 2 of 7 in the last few minutes. D Mason was quoted after the game about that fact. Make one or two of those free throws and it's a different story.

Team got tight at the end of the game being chased. It happens and it was ugly. Hopefully they learn from it.

9. SonnyLoco

SonnyLoco Founding Member

TWO WORDS - Bull Crap (IMO):thumb:. We have played brickyard ball for too long. It looks like I'm in the yard in prison again :dis: when I've watched LSU basketball for the past three years. A bunch of good athletes hustling around in mass confusion.

You have a right to your opinion, I just don't like the results. A desperation bricked three pointer when we could have set up a play for ANY of our guys that were more athletic than ANY of their guys for 2 and the win. In my opinion we should have called a timeout and tried to set something up. Maybe you just like random confusion...if so...you will enjoy this season.

It just always seems like we are playing streetball to me that's all. You could be right, maybe I am just so confused and embarrassed I don't even know what I am saying. That is possible, I am crazy you know. :insane: No offense meant, I hope none is taken.

10. SonnyLoco

SonnyLoco Founding Member

That's your idea of the "intricacies of coaching". It can be someone else's idea of a BAD IDEA. I didn't call for the coaches head, but I did question his decision of not calling a time out and setting up play.

He could have went either way, I feel like he went the wrong way. That is called "studying the intricacies of coaching"...knowing that there is always more than one decision that you can make. We usually make the one that leads to mass confusion. Maybe that timeout could have been called when we were running around with our heads cut off fouling on three pointers just to say "HEY...calm down fellas". Brady is notorious for letting games get out of control without calling a timeout and calming his team down.

Thanks for being condescending and insinuating that we don't understand the game of basketball??? There is a fine line between protecting your coach and stepping on another FAN's feet. Maybe you will bump into me on the court one day, and then you would change your assumptions.:lol:

That being said, we are some shot blocking machines and it looks like we will make some noise in the SEC!!:thumb: >chunkin up the deuce and leaving the room<