LSU basketball Recruiting (2009)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by artichokes, May 20, 2007.

1. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I thought Spencer's jumper was pretty good - just not his role last year. Is there no chance Bass can mature in the off-season and take the PG spot and have Spencer play #2?

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Yes... there is a chance, but it's still an if in my mind. I've speculated that this is an option, if Dotson just isn't ready for a full time SG job, we can have Bo play 2 and Bass play 1, so that we can get more perimeter scoring. It is actually probably what we'll see a fair amount of just b/c Bass has familiarity with the system, but it'll also depend on what kind of impact Aaron (or Noel :hihi:) can have in early practices. What we do know is Bass is athletic and tried last year to play comfortably in a pass first mentality. As a result his A-2-TO ratio actually was pretty good. However, what's surprised me a little bit is his shooting. I mean Bass was just plain poor. Not only was his shooting % poor, but his FT% was I think below 40%. That's just not acceptable for your point guard, even a pass-first point guard. Now, you can probably chalk that up to inexperience, but I hope this summer, Bass is doing his daily dose of 400 jumpshots, 100 free throws, etc. I'm eager to see what he can do, b/c you can see the potential there.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

Generally, I'd agree with you. But, I look back and remember all the hype surrounding a certain Magnum Rolle after T-train left. I also think that people forget what the roles were around CJ and an unsung hero Quinton Thornton. They were largely in there to defend and rebound, and overall, despite some poor match up with certain teams, they did an adequate job. I think with Storm Warren, Garrett Green and Dennis Harris, I still think there is some uncertainty and it's not a given that the offense will even be their big emphasis (it may have to go more to them no doubt). First, there's no QT's 240 lb on the front line. Garrett would be the "bulk" but with the back situation, he's clearly the X factor--just because of size and strength. If he's healthy, and can give us even 6-8 points, 7 or so rebounds and keep big men from scoring at will, we don't NEED him for offense. Storm Warren may actually be called on to become a little bit of what Tas was for us last year, an undersized, but full of hustle, PF. But, Storm offensively was also a little bit of a mixed bag last year. Lastly, I come to Dennis Harris. I think really, he is a big key in the difference between a good team and a very good team. He's a skilled big man, who can shoot the jumper, has some post moves, and he's 6'10". He's also had that key redshirt year to develop and learn the system, so he's not a newbie. Whether he come out like Magnum Rolle or Tyrus Thomas will be a big factor in next year's success.

No doubt that replacing MT is a big key, but I guess I'll take my chances there with Bo, Dotson/Johnson and Tas'. I guess I have pretty good confidence in Spencer and Tas to adapt and take some of the pressure off the young guns on the outside. I think sometime Freshmen in good situations like that actually have good opportunities to just play and thrive (I think back to Antonio Hudson in his FR year)--it's actually a good situation for Dotson and Johnson if he comes here to be in.

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Anyone have in info on how Green's back is healing. Did he require surgery?

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Garrett actually got the surgery many weeks ago. He's recently been cleared to start working out, but it's light work and pool time. They're shooting for him to be available for working out with the team come late August.

Back surgery is always tough, but there is hope. I'm not sure the exact nature of the surgery, but often times the back surgery is very beneficial to relieve nerve pain--it takes a lot of work and targeted physical therapy, however, to get the full strength and stability back. This will be a good test for the new strength and conditioning team that Trent/LSU has in place. Clearly, his recovery is going to be important, and Trent was pretty complimentary of Garrett prior to last season.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

Ok, so call me a nut, but the potential landing of another Johnson at LSU (subsequent to TRENT Johnson, of course), the fact that NJ would be the second top 100 recruit to commit for Trent (in a line of many more to come! :)), and the fact that another quality shooter on LSU's team next year takes this team from decent/good to very good, has got me watching recruiting news by the hour.

Also, my hope is that NJ and family read this and just see that LSU makes the most sense for Noel (it made great sense for the likes of Chris Jackson, Shaq', and many others right? I know they respect the pro game, and look at the schools in terms of pro success:

Clemson: NBA Players who Attended Clemson University - Basketballreference.com
    LSU: NBA Players who Attended Louisiana State University - Basketballreference.com - doesn't even include Marcus Thornton)... so, Noel GEAUX WITH LSU.

The news continues to trickle out, and you got to love the internet.

This comes out from the Carolinas...

Clemson looking to add to hoops class > Palmetto Sports Recruiting News

(on the LSU visit... "It went pretty well," Cheese Johnson said. "They showed us their facilities, their academic system, and their resources as far as academic stuff.")

And, if you believe there's any merit in board chatter, many UNLV fans feel they're out and LSU's in...

Noel Johnson, Class of '09 4-star, UNLV Bound? - CBSSports.com Message Boards

In any case, Noel's at Clemson today and tomorrow. The irony... they're also the Tigers. :mad: :popcorn:

Pay your homage to the basketball gods! :lol: :geauxtige :geauxtige :geauxtige

7. TGer'nLHornLand

Woah boy... the news is getting hot. :popcorn:

Rivals comes out this afternoon with their Noel Johnson update.

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=956953

Things went well and there were several quotes from Noel's dad. Seems that there was a mutual respect between "Cheese" Johnson and Trent, and they've definitely been in contact. Also, Cheese spoke highly of the facilities (current and planned, academics and new practice facilities) in general. The term "mind-boggling" was used. :thumb:

Here we go folks! Less than 48 hours to go for decision time... :geauxtige

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The Scout update was much of the same and very encouraging.

Trent sees him mainly at the 2 spot but will play the 1 and 3 as well.

9. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

NJ still announcing tomorrow?

10. TGer'nLHornLand

So, this Thursday evening, both sets of Tiger media touched base with the Johnsons, and as we expected.... it's down to the Tigers... both of them. At this point, Noel Johnson expects to sleep on it and choose between LSU and Clemson tomorrow. The visit went well today to Clemson and it seems like the resounding things coming out of their visit were that he liked Clemson's staff, academics and availability of PT. Much like LSU, that seemed to be what he focused on.

Different articles are out on Rivals, http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=957401, but it's clearly neck and neck and the Johnsons are not tipping their hand.

We'll find out late tomorrow, as there will be no formal announcement. NJ's dad and NJ will just call both head coaches and let them know the news in the afternoon. Argh! :popcorn: :sob:

My gut tells me that he's impressed with what's going on with LSU, the slightly "bigger" stage and the momentum of Trent's program, but Clemson's also closer to home. I'm an optimistic 55/45 in favor of LSU, but that's probably just me being a homer. :grin:

NOEL, IN TRENT WE TRUST. BE A LSU TIGER!!! :geauxtige:geauxtige:geauxtige