LSU / Bama Game thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Nov 4, 2014.

1. msully

msully Founding Member

Terry under pressure then you and I and my Bama friends will see what they see . Ot they think they see , right .
    LSU to win

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I don't know your friends, Sully, so I can't comment on what they feel about Sims. I do know a large number of the fan base was caught up in the hype around Coker during the pre-season. With the comments Jimbo and Sanders made about Jake, then the media picking up where they left off, one would think he was All-SEC before he took a snap; in practice.

I'm sure there are some that are still caught up in that wave of excitement. It certainly wasn't fair to Blake for some to say there's no way he can handle the position before he took a snap.

I'm of the opinion he's been fun to watch a lot of the time. He's had his issues and made decision that made me cringe but in the end it's been a fun ride this season with him under center. How this season ends up? No one knows. In January when college football is done I KNOW I'll look back and say, "the kid gave it his all."

What more could one ask?

3. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

At an employees house last night and got into the gin. His teenage son was predicting that Cooper would slice us up. Of course, I stood up for our secondary and promised everyone that our secondary was better than any Cooper has seen. My drunken predictions have a way of backfiring on me. Hope we shut him down though-- we will struggle to score a lot of points.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

You have no choice but to fire this person. I'm sure his son will understand.

furduknfish, Rouxleaux and Bengal B like this.
  5. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Cooper scares me, this guy is the real deal. I'm not sure any one guy can shut him down, I do know the only thing that has worked is zone with a lot of QB pressure. I don't think we can do that like Ole Miss and Arky did.
    I will be pleasantly surprised if we can. We will not stop him with man coverage, everybody who tried has gotten scorched. I know we have some talent at corner but not enough for this guy if we can't rush the QB throws.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

With press coverage, in man, from the corners. Teams that have had success were playing zone coverage with their safeties (as some refer to as over the top coverage.) It's worked defending him.

Which...brings us back to the defensive line and if the middle is as susceptible to being run against as it has been at times this year with the Tiger defense.

$TigerFan$ likes this.
  7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I've been thinking about this for the last week and a half and can only call it a wash.

I can't give the advantage to LSU on the defensive line because it hasn't been proven. Take the defensive tackle combination of Godchaux and LaCoutre (sp?.) What have they combined for this season when we add TFL and sacks? Six? It's not the normal combination. I can certainly see why Thomas was replaced as the starter.

The ends are as athletic as they've ever been. But, they've been susceptible to the run which makes me believe there's improvement to be made in their technique.

Alabama's DL has had one game where I saw flaws and that was against Tennessee. I'm leaning towards thinking the game prep was the issue when UT went with a option based attack while the scheme was for a passing based, spread attack. Other than that game, it's been a group that has played better than any I've seen in Saban's tenure.

On the offensive line I give LSU the nod. I couldn't tell you who lines up Saturday due to the injuries the Tide has faced. Even if healthy, I don't know if I could give the nod to Bama when I consider what Collins brings. I'd argue, with anyone, he's the best LT in the SEC—possibly the nation. And with Alexander beside him?!?! Good lord. If there's one bright spot for you guys this season it's been that combination. I don't mean this as derogatory, but the offensive line has been the best unit on the Tiger squad this year. (And, I think you bring a better group of running backs to this game.)

This is a pretty evenly matched up game...and I still think the key is going to be Bama running between the tackles. If it were to come down to special teams, LSU wins. Quarterback play? Bama. Defensive backs? LSU. Linebackers? Bama.

These last few years, win or lose, I've always said "that was a good ball game." I expect nothing short of that this year.

P&G_wheelz007 and ROY_LA_CA like this.
  8. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

Terry we were suspect at straight down your throat running this year. It has gotten better, but we still have some slips now and then. Those bruising backs Bama always brings is the key for everything else working. We kind of mirror each other except QB and LB play over the last few years and unless one team has a major hiccup I would think it will be a classic down to the wire event.

TerryP likes this.
  9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I genuinely HOPE it's a down to the wire event.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

IMO. we would be better to pressure sims than focus on Cooper. Yes, cooper is a threat, but a good scheme can keep him in check. He will make some plays, but Sims is the key focus IMO.

Need to get in his head.