LSU / Bama Game thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Nov 4, 2014.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

predictions?

scores, passing/rushing yards, turnovers, general feel how it plays out.

i have none yet.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I'm thinking this is all on Chavis and what defensive scheme he's going to employ.

Man coverage is what I expect. How closely the corners play up to the line is a question.

A Cover Two approach from the safeties I expect. How quickly the linebackers spread out to the hash marks to cover the flat is something worth watching.

If the corners are playing off the line I can see the LSU secondary being on their heels until a change it made. When they move to more of a press coverage scheme the natural progression would be safeties sliding back to cover "over the top," outside linebackers moving more outside to cover the flats, which would put this in the hands of the Bama offensive line. It also makes the run support come primary from the MIKE and if the tackles can't hold their own?

A zone type approach with press on the corners, safeties over the top, has been the best way to contain the passing attack of the Tide. LSU has been susceptible in the middle to a good rushing attack (which that zone would leave open.)

For an LSU win turnovers will have to be forced. There've been a few issues with holding onto the ball so if the Tiger defense can force two I can see this being a close game. IF they can force three or more, an LSU win.

On the other hand, the narrative here before the season revolved around how well the QB position would be developed in Tuscaloosa. To date, there's very little difference in what Dak has accomplished versus what Blake Sims has done (Sims with an edge in INT's and PE.) If he has a good game, it's easy to see a double digit win (10-15) win by the Tide. That said, there's been some balls dropped by opposing DB's which I don't expect to continue.

In the end, a tough contest should be expected. A Tide win by around a touchdown is what I feel will happen.

Even playing at home, the onus is on the Tigers.

27-21 Tide.

3. msully

msully Founding Member

Not sure but give you what I think will happen . LSU by two TD's . Bama has a problem like we do at QB . This game will be won by a coach , a former Kiffin fire at Tennessee . The Vols do not and did not have the team strenght to give Lane a proper "Homecoming" in Knoxville . Chavis has the reason , the players , an he knows defense wins games . Lane will have a long night , and Saban will be paceing the sidelines looking up at the stands , we will see that look that we know in his eyes . The moment he knows LSU will win . BTW that is a look I love to see in Saban's eyes .

*** My Bama neighbor and friend stopped by yesterday and was wearing close to $500.00 worth of Bama clothes . From the top of his head to his feet he is a Bamaman . Another neighbor and Vol fan and a good friend had just taken 30 minuites of bama abuse from my bama neighbor .He,then , my bama neighbor , wanted to know with his bama smile ,if I wanted to double our bet . I covered , then as we shook hands I asked him
    "Hey buddy want to double it again ?" Well there was a look in his eyes that reminded me of muddy water , his lips did a double like snarl, his upper lip on the left corner went up a bit , his bottom lip right corner , turned under , I did not know if he was having a stroke or a heart attack. AS he turned away and I said
    "Friend, I will give you a family and a friend discount on this bet ."
    " I bet this against that bama suit that you are wearing . After the game you can bring your bama suit over ,I will have a fire in that 55 gallon drum , and you can put your Bama suit in the fire one pc at a time . How is that for a family and friend discount ?' I showed him my cover bet and said "Is it a bet ?" He just walked to his truck without a word
    You see he knows his beloved Bama team has a QB like we have not as good as he is used to. Not a comeback player , or a good pressure player .
    LSU to Win and for me 7 -6 is good enough for me !
    GEAUX TIGERS !!! ***

gyver likes this.
  4. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I don't think Alabama is as good as people think they are and I think LSU is better than they were. How close does that make this game? Very close.

Richdog, Rouxleaux and StaceyO like this.
  5. skippy737

skippy737 Founding Member

if the defense plays like they did the past two games we win ONLY and I mean ONLY if:

we can pass the ball--- its no flipping mystery u beat LSU by stacking the run and make the sub par qb ( either one) beat you thru the air bc the o line wont give him enough time to make his reads- which creates bad decisions, fumbles and ints and 3 and outs ( honestly how im not a defensive coordinator is beyond me)

I want to beat ALA but unfortunately the ala QB is a way better game manager ( which is why lesser teams can actually win) than either of our two- and while I give us only a slight edge in overall defense and running the ball and maybe special teams including kicking-- ALA has a better oline which gives way to a more efficient and scoring producing offense. I just don't think we win at home-- if we do, it will be only bc our defense gives us a last second opportunity to kick a field goal---- ( seem familiar)? our offense will look like crap bc ala will know we can run and stack against it--- like every team does---

our game plan should be pass first- short dinkers to playmakers and screens, and reverses to our running backs and hope ala misses tackles , blocks, assignments--- this continual every year of run run o crap its third down should I run again or maybe pass has got to end and wont win against teams that know ur plan and can defend against it

clear as mud?

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Can you explain how you have come up with that comparison? I don't see a thing that backs it up statistically.

BAMA: Currently ranked as the 24th best passing offense in the NCAA.
    2.png
    LSU: Currently ranked as the 101st best passing offense in the NCAA.
    3.png

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The LSU offense doesn't play the Alabama offense.

LSU has the #4 passing defense in the country versus Alabama's #24 passing offense and the #1 passing efficiency defense against Alabama's #3 passing efficiency.

Sims has his work cut out for him . . . and so does Jennings.

LSU is #99 in passing offense versus Alabama's #28 passing defense and the #38 passing efficiency versus Bama's #28 pass efficiency defense.

8. kcal

kcal Founding Member

tigers will not need 3 to's to win but will need 10 to 15 completions. We've seen a glimpse of what to expect saturday with the passes to LF and T Magee out of the backfield.

The Tiger O line will be the difference here.

9. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I think the key of the game is the proverbial LOS battle. For LSU to win, we must win both battles. The OL must block well in order to establish the run game. LSU must consistently run for 3-5 yards. Especially on first down. Establishing the run game should help free up receivers making it easier on AJ. AJ must pass well when given the opportunity. It is on his shoulders because Miles will ride the ship until it's down with AJ.

The DL must continue it's recent improvement. LSU must get pressure on Sims as well as control the line and Bama run game. LSU must try to put Bama in 3rd and long. I like when Chavis is aggressive, I think it plays well into our personnel. We have the DB's to cover Bama receivers.

It will no doubt be a hard hitting slugfest that we all love. I think Miles pulls out another rabbit and LSU beats Bama in a close one.

gyver likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

21-19 LSU