LSU and Les Miles settle buyout

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Nov 15, 2018.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

We saved 5 million on the deal? Would have otherwise lasted until 2023 so good news for us. Must be taking the Kansas gig. College football is better with him in it and Id be excited to see how it goes. Kansas is a legit dead-end job however.

LSU, Les Miles agree to settlement on remaining buyout money owed

LSU and former head football coach Les Miles agreed to a settlement on the remaining $6.5 million owed to Miles from the buyout following his 2016 firing.

LSU will pay Miles $1.5 million in a one-time lump sum payment. The original agreement would have paid Miles north of $9 million in monthly payments of more than $133,000 until 2023.

“It’s time for both parties to move forward,” LSU athletic director Joe Alleva said in a statement. “One of the challenges of the buyout that was in place was there just wasn’t a lot of incentive to move on to other things. We were looking to provide that and Coach Miles and his representatives also were ready. It was a mutually agreed upon goal and a very positive process from beginning to end.”

This comes after Miles' name has come up as a candidate for the Kansas football head coaching job. The payments on his agreement would have been offset against any new salary. Alleva said the discussions on the settlement have been ongoing for several weeks.

The settlement was fully executed Thursday (Nov. 15).

Miles went 114-34 in 12 years with LSU, winning the 2007 BCS National Championship and two SEC championships.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I read that shortly before you posted it. I'm not sure Les will return to coaching particularly at Kansas. He's 65 years old and has apparently been bitten by the acting bug. If Corso hangs it up this year I think Les would be the ideal replacement.

kcal likes this.
  3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

So you think hes got an acting gig that allowed him to forego $5 million. Hell he probably owes dr pepper money after that last commercial.

4. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I also read that he bought another home in Baton Rouge. That doesn't sound like some whose interested in moving to Kansas. But then again, it's Les.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Why would anyone leave $5m on the table? Even if it's not Kansas, he got another job. But it probably is Kansas

Brian likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not to mention Dos Equis.

7. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

I don't know the answer to you question, but I sure wish I did. Must be an interesting position to be in.

8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

5 mil we can now throw at some coaching talent...

9. KevinWS

KevinWS Founding Member

furduknfish likes this.
  10. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I will pull for Les Miles wherever he goes and whatever he decides to do. He did a lot for LSU and I am grateful to him and his family.
    If he still wants to coach I say go get em Les.