Louisiana Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pennsylvania, Nov 14, 2011.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

You need to take the time to make those memories before it's too late.

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

This is the most poignant thing about Thanksgiving as I get older--remembering the family who has passed away and enjoying the dishes they passed down through the generations.

My Cajun grandfather was an excellent cook, had even owned a restaurant in New Roads for a few years before I was born. On Thanksgiving morning, I'd always go into his dining room with him, and he would carve his turkey and feed me little scraps of the meat and talk to me. He told me awesome stories about him as a little boy in Bayou L'ours in St. Mary Parish (he was born in 1907) and would teach me little Cajun French phrases.

Those are among my most cherished memories, and it makes me sad that he didn't live long enough to meet my daughters.

1 person likes this.
  3. P&G Fan

P&G Fan GEAUX TIGERS!!

We just moved here last March from North Dakota and was there for 5 1/2 yrs (my wife is Air Force). My boys and I hunted pheasants and ducks/geese there quite often and next year will try some Alaskan duck hunts perhaps try and get a moose tag. So we're making memories.

But there's nothing like being at the camp with family, but they don't hunt and get together like they use to. Many of the uncles are too old and like myself, many of the cousins have ventured off.

I believe we're going to try and surprise my parents and make it down there for Thanksgiving or Christmas (travel will probably be a nightmare though especially with a family of 5)....it's hard because of the work and school schedules as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

Let me see.
    Baked Oysters Mosca
    Baked Ham-either the one rubbed in Zatarain's crawfish boil or Coca Cola or Cuban style
    Louisiana Sweet potatoes done like Commanders Palace. Recipe on Louisiana Sweet Potato website.
    Cornbread dressing
    Green beans but not the casserole thingy with canned onion rings
    Pecan Pie with my ice cream
    I think that is it but I might be leaving something out. I think this year I'll add that eggplant, shrimp, and crab thingy somebody mentioned.
    Penn, I am in New Orleans but if I was in Baton Rouge you'd be welcome.

5. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

Eggplant Casserole with Shrimp and Crabmeat

2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled, deveined 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh
    2 cups shrimp stock 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh
    ½ pound margarine ½ teaspoon dried oregano or 2 teaspoons fresh
    3 large onions, chopped fine 4-6 dashes Tabasco
    2 medium bell peppers, chopped fine 1 pound cooked crabmeat, claw or white
    2 celery ribs, chopped fine 1 cup chopped green onions
    4 medium eggplants, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes, boiled in water until tender, drain and puree

1 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    1-½ teaspoons red pepper Breadcrumbs
    1-½ teaspoons white pepper
    1-½ teaspoons black pepper
    1-½ teaspoons salt
    Melt the margarine over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot and add the onions, peppers and celery. Cook the vegetables until they are very soft, stirring occasionally, 30-45 minutes. Add the eggplant, shrimp stock, seasonings, and herbs to the vegetable mixture, return to a simmer, and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp and continue to cook over medium high heat just until the shrimp turn pink, 5-7 minutes. Add the crabmeat and cook just long enough to heat through. Remove from the heat and stir in the green onions and parsley. Add breadcrumbs to bind all ingredients.

Serves 8.

This sounds ok to me, anybody else have a recipe?

1 person likes this.
  6. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

That sounds fantastic. Now, I just need someone to make it for me.

No, I don't cook. I grill.

7. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

How was your Baton Rouge Thanksgiving? That game was one for the ages. Hope you enjoyed every minute.