Louisiana Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pennsylvania, Nov 14, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not really. Schoolteachers work hard at speaking well and dropping the overt country/cajun/texican accents. But your manner of speech would reveal you as a southerner to any keen observer, darlin'.

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The only things we have every year are a fried turkey, a baked turkey, a ham, broccoli casserole, cornbread dressing, fish slime coke, and oyster patties. The oyster patties are the biggest pain to prepare, and are gone as soon as they are laid out. I have been the one making them since I was about 15 years old and I rarely ever get one.

The past few years I have been frying a few cornish hens in the turkey frier and everyone enjoys them.

3. CaseyLSU

CaseyLSU Founding Member

We usually have:

Fried Turkey
    Baked Turkey/Chicken
    Ham
    Roast with rice and gravy
    Rice dressing
    Baked mac 'n cheese
    Green Bean casserole
    Some sort of sweet potato dish
    Oyster Dressing
    Regular Dressing (for me since I hate oysters)
    Cranberry sauce
    Home made yeast rolls
    Pecan Pie
    Coconut Pie
    Brownies
    Bread Pudding

Dang, now I'm hungry. I didn't get a traditional Thanksgiving dinner last year since we were on a cruise up until the day before and nobody felt like cooking the next day so we threw together a gumbo and potato salad. Which was still pretty delicious, but nothing like the usual.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Is that code for I'm a southerner, so I'm polite?

Pennsylvania, I think you're in for a treat when you visit Baton Rouge over Thanksgiving.

5. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

Ok. Fish slime coke??????? Explain please.

I'm looking forward to it Stacey. I have spent some time in southeast Texas. I do enjoy the southern drawl.

6. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

All the male cousins, and the lesbian cousin go saltwater fishing on Thanksgiving morning. There are 20 of us so we go in 5 or six boats. I always go with the same 3. We only bring one ice chest, so the fish and the cokes end up in the same ice chest. We mostly catch speckled trout which are slimey as hell. The slime runs into the icey water and covers the cokes. So when you drink your coke you get a nice hint of fish slime. We bring our leftover cokes to the Thanksgiving feast. This has gone on for 15 years or so. When one of my aunts compiled a family cookbook my contribution was the recipe for fish slime coke.

Here it is for you.

1 48 qt icechest
    1 20 lb. bag of ice
    2 12 packs canned coke
    4 limits speckled trout

Empty the bag of ice into the ice chest. Place cans of coke into the ice chest. Allow to sit in boat. As fish are caught place them into the ice chest. As the fish slime runs off of the fish and the ice melts the fish slime will coat the cokes. Drink Coke and enjoy.

7. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the cornbread dressing!

1 person likes this.
  8. P&G Fan

P&G Fan GEAUX TIGERS!!

I miss the ducks/geese hunts. I haven't hunted the Lousiana rice fields or marshes in 15 years or so. My family has a couple camps near Gueydan. I wish my sons could of experienced what I did....never can get down there over the years.

Anyway, Tur-Duc-Hen is our new thing for Thanksgiving the last few years and Cajun style and crab/cornbread dressing (my maw-maw's recipe bless her soul and may she RIP).

9. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Dam, Gueydan? That's some prime duck/goose hunting. Don't they have the duck festival there too?

1 person likes this.
  10. P&G Fan

P&G Fan GEAUX TIGERS!!

Yeah, it's there.