Lonesome Dove

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Mr. Peabody, Aug 25, 2008.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I embarrassingly admit I've never seen Lonesome Dove, but seeing everyone's opinion has made me want too.

What about The Outlaw Jose Wales. Where does that rank in terms of favorite westerns?

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

lonesome dove is without a doubt the best in my book..... a poke for $2.00???????????? :)

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The exchange between Richard Boone as Grimes and Paul Newman as John Russell at the end.

Grimes: "Mister, you've got a lot of HARD bark on you walkin' down here like this. Now, I owe you. You put two holes in me."

John Russell: "Usually enough for most of 'em."

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It didn't make my top-10.

1. The Searchers -- John Wayne's favorite role and his best performance on film. Classic John Ford style in Monument Valley.(1956)

2. Lonesome Dove -- Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones have never been better and define the term "partner". Based on a great novel by Larry McMurtry.(1990)

3. Little Big Man -- Dustin Hoffman only made one western, but this fine black comedy sheds a different light on Custers last stand. Chief Dan George steals the movie.(1970)

4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- Paul Newman and Robert Redford in an unusual modern western. A very fun movie.(1969)

5. Red River -- John Wayne and Montgomery Clift on a cattle drive. Great story, great actors, great film.(1948)

6. The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly -- Clint Eastwood and Eli Wallach in the best Spaghetti Western ever made. (1967)

7. Hombre -- Paul Newman and Richard Boone in an unusual plot with a bunch of real characters. (1962)

8. Once Upon a Time in the West -- Charles Bronson, Jason Robards, Claudia Cardinale, and Henry Fond as The Bad Guy. Great music, great film. (1968)

9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence -- The best Jimmy Stewart western with Lee Marvin. Did I mention John Wayne? (1962)

10. A Man Called Horse -- An Indian movie without the cowboys. Richard Harris as an Englishman held captive by the Indians. (1970)

6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Whats a poke?

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYzZPiqjqww&NR=1[/MEDIA]

Although not my favorite I loved Unforgiven cause the movie was made for this one scene:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtiGCkRSkdM&feature=related[/MEDIA]

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I love "Red River" and "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence." I guess you guys can tell that my dad idolized John Wayne...

1 person likes this.
  8. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

Although I'm a HUGE John Wayne and James Stewart fan, I think Lonesome Dove is the best western after "The Shootist". I watch LD about once a month....sometimes more often. But, then, all I do in the off season is watch movies.

BTW, Loneseome Dove was just released on Blu-ray disc. Holy Cow! It looks GREAT! Well worth the price. I had about worn out my original DVD.

Favorite lines:

Gus, when accused of cheating at cards for a poke with Lori Darlin':

"Well, I won't say I cheated and I won't say I didn't. But I will say any man that wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough."

Gus: "What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."

Call: "I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

Jake: "A plank wall won't stop a 50 caliber bullet."
    Gus: "No, but a dentist will."

:eek:ldskule:

9. Mr. Peabody

Mr. Peabody Founding Member

If it makes you feel any better, The Outlaw Josey Wales, is my all time favorite movie.

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Another great line of Gus' from Lonesome Dove:

"It's not dying I'm talking about. It's livin'."