little bunny foo foo

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by OkieTigerTK, Oct 3, 2011.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It will be back in print before Christmas, likely. Folse self-published it and small printers are notorious for failing to keep books in stock and having poor distribution networks.

My Uncle Albert just made squirrel stew mostly and it was damn good. Nothin' special, just squirrel browned in lard, onion, garlic, taters and carrots cooked down in stock and served with hot biscuits mostly.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

before i read your recipe, I was going to post yours basically and say you basically cook the **** out of any varmint down to almost nothing with onions and the usual in a cast iron pot. serve over rice.

never heard of using the mushroom soup though. sounds like a plan.

oh i think rabbit is my favorite game animal. hadnt had it in forever. its really good fried as well, obviously.

yes, someone here corrected me a long time ago with the same comment. May have been you. i do believe its a regional thing but its what we've always called it.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i hope so! i cannot afford it at the prices it is going for now.

i'll have to keep watching for it so i can snag one if it does come back in print.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

probably was me. i dont know why, but the whole shallot/scallions/green onions thing is one of my pet peeves.

figures that one of mine would have something to do with cooking and food. :hihi:

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

No harm no foul. I actually did a search to make sure but still WAS NOT positive since I got pictures of what you posted and some "green onions" which is what we've always called it. Was trying not to look too "Cajun". :yelwink2:

I would never want to put out misinformation and would expect to be corrected so never hold back.

My comma splices seem to go unnoticed, thankfully. Been a problem since HS.

6. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I've heard how it is very good southern fried but have never had it.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I have nothing to add to the thread, but have to say--I hate shallots, scallions, and green onions.

I don't mind onions that have been cooked down, but please don't ask me to crunch on one. Gack...

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Wow, I love fresh chopped green onions on lots of things. But then again, I always prefer raw vegetables to cooked ones. Coleslaw instead of boiled cabbage, salad rather than steamed veggies, celery and carrot sticks instead of stewed vegetables.

To each his own.

I had a girlfriend once who loved cheese melted or cooked in food, but would not touch cheese in its natural state. She said the texture of it was revolting and "yucky". Weird.

9. titoabad1

titoabad1 Contributing Member

Rabbit and "dumplings"

Dumpling mix

1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped thyme leaves
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Salt, black pepper,cayenne to taste
    Combine dry ingredients w whisk
    Add 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, one egg, one cup milk and one small finely chopped onion
    Mix wet and dry ingredients only till incorporated should pour off spoon slowly then refrigerate batter for at least an hour

Stew

Cut rabbit in frying size pieces then season with white, red and black pepper, salt, and garlic. Dredge in flour then fry in vegetable oil. Once throughoughly browned on all sides remove from black iron skillet and discard half of the oil. Place skillet back on fire and add one copped carrot, one stalk chopped celery, one chopped onion, one seeded and minced jalapeƱo, two tablespoons minced garlic, seasoning to taste. Cook till vegetable begin to soften. Add left over flour to mixture and stir till all veggies are coated. Then add one cup good white wine wait two minutes and add two thirds stick of butter. Once butter melts add 1-1/2 cups of sliced mushrooms that you have browned in olive oil. Add fried rabbits to stew and cook over medium heat for approx half an hour till meat is fork tender. Remove from heat and spoon batter on top of stew to form several biscuits. Place in 450 degree oven until biscuits are browned.

My wife prefers that I debone the bunnies but I prefer it bone in. Been huntin wabbits all my life this is my favorite recipe.

2 people like this.
  10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I have a thing about texture, too. I like the taste of bananas and coconuts, but I don't want to chew them. Mushrooms and oysters are slimy, and beans are...beanie.