Liquid Crab Boil

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, May 9, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Aren't they all produced with a high percentage of salt?

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Tony's certainly was.

It's the first ingredient on Slap. However, that just means that is has the highest percentage of salt as compared to each individual ingredient. SLM only has 4 ingredients. Tony's has about 12 IIRC.

3. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

I stopped using Tony's yrs ago because I found it was too much salt-to-pepper ratio.

What do you mean, It's the first ingredient on Slap?"

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

It means the first ingredient listed on the label theres more of that than any other. They're in descending order. Just like in dog food. Or any other food label.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Since all of the cajun seasonings have a high percentage of salt content it doesn't matter which brand you use if you are trying to cut back on your salt intake.
    Look at this way. I cajun seasoning hadn't been invented you would still use salt to flavor your food. I don't know about you but I don't pour the Tony's onto my food. I use the same amount as I would if I were using plain salt.

6. Bayou Tiger

I wasn't. I was trying to increase pepper without making it too salty, to taste.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Percentage wise, I would bet that SYM has less than Tony's. Tastes that way to me anyway.

Bayou Tiger likes this.
  8. Bayou Tiger

Don't know. We do use SYM sometimes but I prefer T Boy's for one reason- it's a little finer and sticks to the meat better than the coarser SYM.

I can't tell a difference tween those two, otherwise.

I've had Tony's over popcorn at a bar and liked it.

Bengal B likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I bought Zatarain's Creole Seasoning once when the store was out of Tony's. A little different flavor but good. I ordered clam chowder at a place in Rhode Island one time and it was hearty and think but bland. I asked the waitress for some Tobasco and if they had any kind of cajun seasoning. She brought me a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce and something labeled cajun seasoning that the label said was made in New Jersey.

HalloweenRun and Bayou Tiger like this.
  10. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

That reminds me of something. I went to a restaurant here in BCS and ordered boiled crawfish. I asked the waitress for some cayenne. SHe pointed to the Cajun seasoning they had and I said, no, just cayenne pepper. So she brought me a little container with some. I put it all over my crawfish. Her eyes got as big as saucers. LOL

Bengal B likes this.