Like seeing former players returning to campus

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Apr 23, 2022.

1. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Loved seeing all the pictures and videos of the former players back on campus and mingling with the recruits. With the spring game becoming less and less popular, CBK needs to make the spring game a reunion for current and former NFL players to return to campus. More fans would show up and it would be a huge hit with the recruits. Transfer players and top recruits want to feel special and what a better way than to rub elbows with current/former NFL players from LSU. Can you imagine a young recruit shooting the crap with Burrow, D. White, Dorsey, Faulk, OBJ, Adams, Whitworth and the Honey Badgers just to name a few? I have no interest going to the spring game under its current setup, but I might consider going if it was made into a fun day for the fans and recruits.

APPTiger likes this.
  2. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

Can't believe there are no posts on the spring game. I was mostly watching the baseball game but had the football on my phone. Wasn't paying real close attention but liked a lot of what I saw.

3. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

I forgot about the game. Hopefully SEC+ has replays.

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I only got to see the second half. I was impressed by Nussmeyer, he looked really sharp I thought. He threw some really nice passes and threaded the needle so that only the receiver could get the ball, and he didn't even look like he was trying. Brennan looked good too but I don't think he looked as sharp as Nussmeyer yesterday.. Some days you are on, some you are not.

Daniels has a set of wheels on him and threw for a TD but he's gotta gain some weight or he'll get killed out there. Didn't see much of Walker Howard. Goodwin looked pretty good running the ball. Hard to judge the O-line and D-line in spring games (seems to me); just going to have to see them at full throttle when the season starts. From what I'm hearing though, the O-line continues to improve and should be better than last year.

Overall I'm cautiously optimistic. Can't wait to see how they do when the season starts.

furduknfish and APPTiger like this.
  5. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

Showing replay 9 pm on the 26th SECN on watchESPN app.

BornOnTheBayou likes this.
  6. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I like Nussmeier because he's very athletic, but he has that gunslinger attitude and that can get you in trouble in the SEC. He sort of reminds me of Finley in that they both think they can make every throw and they can't. I'm still pulling for Brennan because I believe he's waited his turn, but watching him scramble or run is absolutely torture. There's also something about Brennan that I can't put my finger on, but something's missing and that concerns me. Not many people talk about Daniels, but I like his game. He's decent throwing the ball, but I love how he can extend the play with his legs. He also has a ton of game experience and that's valuable at this level. I think the key to our offense is the running game and OL play. If we can't establish a run game and have to rely on passing the ball, we're in trouble. If we can't keep defenses guessing, we simply don't have the talent to rely solely on part of the offense over the other. We have to be balanced and that will allow us to open up the playbook and take advantage of mismatches, which will open up a lot more scoring opportunities.

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Finley isn't even in the same league as this kid.. Not what I saw yesterday anyway. He was calm, patient, and precise. Reminded me of Burrow's second year to tell you the truth. Brennan slings it just as much as anyone; I find them both to be very similar.. I like Brennan too because he's stuck around for so long and I would like to see him with a full season under his belt to see how he does, but he's got his work cut out for him if he wants to do that. Nussmeyer has been busy studying and working apparently, and it shows. Really, I'm just happy to see LSU in this situation where we actually have a few bona fide QB's on the team. Whichever way it works out I think we're sitting pretty.

Winston1 likes this.
  8. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

I thought that all 4 of the QBs flashed their potential, but the performances need to be evaluated in the context of the game (scrimmage) confines. The defense was super vanilla - I think only 2 looks. What line was each qb playing behind when they made their best throws, and who was lined up on defense on those plays? What plays where called when each qb was under center. Example —- Brennan’s 1st series was a 3 and out. Downs 1 and 3 were runs that were stuffed. 2nd down was a short pass play to the flat which he completed. Kind of hard for him to shine in that situation. He had a better chance to show his stuff on other series. Coach Kelley's remarks about Brennan after the 1st half were very complimentary to Brennan and reinforces by belief that the job us his to loose. Both Nuss & Daniels will make him work for it. We will be in good hands at the QB position this year.

Swerved and furduknfish like this.
  9. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Some other observations. When Brennan’s 1st appearance they flashed his bio and had him listed at 6’ 4” and 235 lbs. He didn’t look fat. The also noted that Will Campbell added 17 lbs since arriving in Jan. Both Emery & Godwin looked stronger without any loss of speed. For those of you who thought we needed to move on from our long time strength & conditioning coach, well it looks like you were dead on. Kole Taylor made a number of nice catches and after the game Kelly complimented him, but noted the team needed to be stronger & more physical at that position. Lets see if the new S&C coach can beef his 6’ 7” frame up some before the fall camp.

furduknfish likes this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Saw on ToS that Bech had a good game too. Couple TDs I think.