Lets talk conference realignment...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by locoguano, Apr 20, 2010.

1. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I see Texas, A&M, forming the Big Texas conference with Oklahoma, OSU, Arkansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, SMU, Rice, UTep , North Texas Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston State, and Lamar.

3. dudley

dudley oops!

I can't quite see that.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Some people have no vision.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The SEC might be tempted add TCU and Houston. Fort Worth/Dallas and Houston are two huge markets and those teams are less likely to upset the apple cart than UT and A&M.

6. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Red, do you think the SEC is open-minded towards pursuing private schools over state schools?

The Big Ten has stated a preference for state schools, i.e. Mizzou, Nebraska, Kansas, Rutgers... and it is one of the "rubs" concerning ND, as they are not only an arrogant misfit, they are an independent arrogant misfit.
    Like Vandy for the SEC, Northwestern is our only totally independent stepchild... I believe there is more perceived stability with state schools...

7. TexasTechTiger

TexasTechTiger Freshman

Conference Realignment

I was listening to Collin Cowherd on ESPN radio, and he said that the "New" Big 10 will be a better, and more competitive conference then the SEC, or what the Big XII has been. I dont think that is anywhere near the truth, but what do yall think about mixing up the conferences and all the things that go along with that

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Re: Conference Realignment

There is too much tradition to just go all conference potpourri with everyone. There has to be some resemblance of what used to be.

1 person likes this.
  9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, its hard for private schools to compete with big state universities. Tulane failed at it in the SEC already. Vanderbilt's football frustrations might have ended them long ago, but they have always been a major asset to the league in basketball.

A few schools like USC or Stanford in big population centers and huge endowments can compete at the highest levels, but most private schools find a niche, like Vanderbilt. Revenue-sharing in the SEC keeps traditionally poor football programs at basketball schools like Kentucky and Vanderbilt alive and kicking.

I think the SEC would consider a private school that is well-funded, established and an asset to the league in basketball, if not football. Frankly if the SEC adds another contender like Texas or Miami, they will have to be balanced by a couple of schools that will not be contenders, yet still have ardent football programs. A league needs it's Mississippi States and Northwesterns, too.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Re: Conference Realignment

When listening to Colin Cowherd, the thing to always remember is, Colin Cowherd is an idiot. :lol:

1 person likes this.