Lets talk conference realignment...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by locoguano, Apr 20, 2010.

1. dudley

dudley oops!

Some good points. I disagree that no one in Texas wants the PAC 10. Back during the
    demise of the SWC and the creation of the BIG 12 Texas applied for membership in the Pac 10 but Stanford nixed it. That was then though and this is now.

I would love to see Texas in the SEC.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

more hytpotheticals on the madness.....

Mega Conferences:<br>College Football Conference Jumble - SportsCenter.com

if tex, atm, ok, and ok state were to come into the sec, the ok state fans will go into meltdown. lets just say they and moo u are a lot alike.

i personally dont like the idea. i just dont like the idea of mega conferences. it's about nothing but money. but it's coming so i might as well start trying to wrap my mind around it.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Personally, I would hate to lose annual matchups against Bama, Aub, and UF. I also like the rotating east team matchups as well which wouldn't be an option with expansion.

The SEC is the best and no reason to tamper with that to follow the trend. We will make our money one way or the other and I don't see any new conference alignment proposal threatening the SEC stronghold.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I don't think they "want" to, in fact, I'd wager that if you put truth serum in most of the conference presidents they would rather shrink. I just think this snowball is just starting to roll and when it gets to the bottom things could look a lot like that espn thing. Texas is without a doubt the cog. There is a clause (I believe) in the Tx state legislature that says where Tx goes, AtM will follow and vice versa. Ou is likely to follow Tx and the pokes are likely to follow OU. From what I understand the big 11 wants to have their expansion in place for next football season which means this stuff may not be too far off in the distance. Remember this isn't about football prowess, it is about $$$.

5. OkieTigerTK

this is one of my big reasons to dislike the idea of a mega-conference. it is effectively two conferences, which makes it "what's the point?" there is no rotation of playing teams in the other division of the conference, just maybe one of the teams each year.

of course, as pointed out, the "point" is money. that is what is driving everything. to the exclusion of everything else.

nope, just dont like it.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and OSU come into the West Division to join LSU Ole MIss, Arkansas, and State in a New West Division, it will change the entire concept of LSU football in the SEC. With 16 teams the two divisions would rarely play each other. LSU would be trading the traditional rival of 75 years for essentially a Frankenstein Division of old Big-8 and SWC teams, while the traditional SEC continues on in the East Division.

The SEC has been stable and successful and very good for LSU. Why should we hang our hat with a loose quartet of teams that change conferences every decade and are entirely capable of changing again. Why should we get saddled with Ole MIss, Arkansas, and State, while the rest of the old SEC upper tier leaves us behind.

I don't like it. The SEC is the most successful conference in the history of football. If it ain't broke . . .

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I hear what you are saying amigo, I just think this train may be in the tunnel or at least getting very close to it. You could make a list from here to lonnys house as to why it "shouldn't" happen. In the end $$$ is what they will see and hear.

8. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

They were talking to Tommy Tubberville today on ESPN radio. He was commenting on a hypothetical, but from what he was saying he can see it turn into 4 super conferences in the future. This way it would be aligned with a playoff system. He said, far into the future but it was what he believed, based on conversations that were held at the Big 12 coaches conference.

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

SEC commissioner: No need for expansion

10. OkieTigerTK

with the disclaimer.....