Lets talk conference realignment...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by locoguano, Apr 20, 2010.

1. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

From what I've read on what the BigTen wants to do its not about teams, its about markets. Rutgers, Connecticut, and Syracuse put the BigTen in the New York market, likely putting the BigTen Network on expanded basic cable in those areas... Thats a HUGE revenue source for the league. Missouri puts then on the televisions in KC, Memphis, and St. Louis.

The other option that I've read about for the BigTen is to raid the Big12 North. Iowa St., Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St., Nebraska.

But the BIG goal for the BigTen is to expand their TV market.

Go back to the article posted above... The SEC has said that they will respond if the BigTen goes "super". The Pac-10 could follow suit. So you have the BigEast and/or the Big12 North going BigTen. Texas, just because of geography, would go to either the Pac-10 or the SEC. The SEC gives its teams $17 mil a year + local tv rights. No other league can match that.

1 person likes this.
  2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I was serious with the Southern MIss wanting to go to Big East. That's the talk around these parts.

End Of Big East Inertia Is Near | U of L Card Game

Southern Miss ready to take advantage of realigment : Football Rumor Mill

I know these are kinda old links, but that's what is still getting thrown around here. USM wants out of the Conference USA. I think that was one of the main factors that got Fedora down in Hburg. At least that's what was being "talked about" by big alumni and program supporters.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

UT and ATM would be a good mix in the SEC. I like both of those schools.

4. locoguano

If the Big12 North gets raided, I say the SEC should hit the Big12 South.. Imagine the SEC West: LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St., Ark., Texas, aTm, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, East stays the same + Bama, Auburn...

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That takes LSU away from most of its traditional SEC foes. It will never fly.

How About . . .

SEC North
    Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina

SEC South
    A&M, LSU, Ole MIss, State, Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia

1 person likes this.
  6. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I agree completly, it would be a nightmare to add 4 teams of that caliber. I fun idea, and we would trump the Big 10 with that move.

Also I do not see Texas leaving the Big 12 for the SEC, how many years in a row have they played in the Big 12 championship? They have it pretty sweet there. Pretty much a lock to play into a BCS bowl almost every year.

I could see A&M wanting to get away from the Big 12, South Florida, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Louisiana Tech could also be good adds.

7. locoguano

La Tech doesnt have the athletic budget... As for Texas and hte Big12, it might not be a matter of whether or not they want to leave... it might be whether or not it still exists...

8. dudley

dudley oops!

9. dudley

dudley oops!

Nebraska too? It's no secret that Colorado is waiting with crossed fingers for a PAC10 invite, which I believe they will get. The BIG12 which was a shaky alliance to start with is starting to come apart.

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member

was a lot of talk here a couple of years ago about how kentucky was better suited geographically and competitively with the big 10.