Lets talk big tech censorship

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, May 6, 2019.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

What is everyone's opinions?

I have given this a lot of though, and I think, Facebook, Twitter, etc hold a monopoly. Google will have to be a different discussion for me.

Further, I used to side with "private" company nonsense, but no longer do. Why?
    • All private companies have laws they must follow based on anti-discrimination. I think we would lose count on all the current laws on the books.
    • Facebook and Twitter are used as a public forum.
    • They aren't actually private. Publicly held companies.
    Further, Twitter and Facebook have lobbied for laws protecting them from libel suits saying, "they are too vast to police their own content". Hmmmm. doesn't seem the case anymore.

This is just a test run under the guise of "hate speech". Its currently being defined by ultra liberals.

I think at the very LEAST, they should be open to lawsuits now.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Here is my Pepe hat:

https://www.wired.com/2004/02/pentagon-kills-lifelog-project/

The DARPA program was canceled in January, 2004, after criticism from civil libertarians concerning the privacy implications of the system.

"I am sure that such research will continue to be funded under some other title," wrote Karger in an e-mail. "I can't imagine Darpa 'dropping out' of such a key research area."

Facebook, Inc./Founded

February 2004, Cambridge, MA

[​IMG]

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

4. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

My problem is probably the same as everyone else. Who gets to determine what is too far when it comes to speach. I think that somethings can be agreed to be censored ie a live streamed shooting. But some asshole with diarrhea of the mouth, should be best be handled by the public.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Well right now, Facebook decides on that...

6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Yes i know. But i have zero confidence in our federal government's ability to do it. Facebook and Twitter will move so far to the left that their revenues will drop and they will be forced to move back to center. Or at least that is my hope.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Well, yea. That is why I would advocate they should now be open to civil suits for discrimination bans.

I dont support any solution that has ANYONE government or Facebook deciding on speech.

Winston1 likes this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You-tubes revenues have been declining ever since they started their purge. I will be interested to see how the board/shareholders deal with this.

9. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

We agree

10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

The problem is not with the transmitters (those that post), but with the idiots that believe the crap and respond to it. In our country, like it or not, one has exceedingly broad rights as to what they can say or write. I’m not inclined to submit to additional restrictions whether at the hands of government or Zuckerberg.

The dumbing down of the population, the pervasive lack of critical thinking, and the disconnected discourse of social media all give the extreme voices a platform, where, with a more intelligent/discriminating population, the extremist idiots would be dismissed.

Just another example of forfeiting one end of the bargain, and yet expecting things to work. Just doesn’t work that way.

mancha and GiantDuckFan like this.