Les Miles on handling referees and penalties

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TIlGsEuRS, Oct 10, 2011.

1. TIlGsEuRS

TIlGsEuRS Founding Member

Does anyone else notice that Les Miles seems to get along/deals with referees better then most coaches. Seems to me he's a realist and doesn't scream at refs unless its an obvious bad call.

Example is when Wings TD was called back, I'm sure most coaches would berate and scream and yell at the refs for a bad call, but Les Miles basically said, yeah that's the right call, talked to his player, and moved on. (I think players respect him more as well, in the way he deals with the mistakes by his players, by letting them know their mistake without belittling them. Unlike WM who threatened 2 players basically because of a mistake. I think i read somewhere that wing apologized to Les for the playafterwords, and I'm sure he won't make the same mistake again, and it was corrected without yelling lol.)

Most coaches I've noticed when a penalty is called against their team even though its a correct call would scream and yell at the refs just because it went against them. Which to me makes them look foolish.

1 person likes this.
  2. Darth

Darth Dark Lord of the SEC

Yep. That's one of the things I like about him, he always keeps his cool.

3. vesperiaLSU

vesperiaLSU Veteran Member

Yep. I agree, and CLM is also very good at dealing with all different kinds of players and as far as we know the players love to play for him, which is the biggest difference I see between CLM and Nick Saban.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

His approach is far and away better than Muschamp or Dooley. Watching UF/Tennessee I thought for sure one of them would stroke out on the sideline.

It's funny, since someone saw fit to bring up a Saban comparison for the millionth time, Les' attitude was widely perceived to be a negative just two years ago, because he wasn't screaming in his players' faces or destroying headsets.

1 person likes this.
  5. TIlGsEuRS

TIlGsEuRS Founding Member

I like his cool demeanor, I know a lot of people like the emotional intense coaches, but I think that the emotional aspect should be left to the fans.

I believe his calm and cool during games is the reason why we are able to come from behind all those games, I don't think it's just "luck". With emotions you have your ups and downs, when things are going right thats great, but what happens when things aren't going your way? but with Les Miles he seems to be on an even keel throughout, and the players feed off of that, and there's no panic.

6. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

Many years ago I coached middle school football and basketball. Early on in my time doing that, I thought yelling and screaming at officials was what good coaches were supposed to do.

My "ah ha" moment came late in close a game when my point guard obviously travelled. The ref blew the whistle and my player looked at me expecting me to blow up. All I said was "You walked. What else was he supposed to call? Go play defense."

The official thanked me at a later game for pointing out that my player had indeed committed an infraction. And I noticed we started to get some of the closer calls.

It also helped that over time I got to know some of the officials and realized they were just guys essentially doing what they did for the love of the game and a paltry paycheck. They weren't out to screw anybody.

I also used that new demeanor to my team's advantage. A few times a season, during an appropriate play when an official was near me, I'd yell (not at the officials, just in their direction) something like "clip, clip!" or "facemask!" or "three seconds!" even if I didn't see such an infraction. Every once in a while we'd get the call. :D Even if we didn't get the call, often the official would come up to me later and say something like "Coach, I didn't see [whatever] on that play but I'll be sure to keep my eyes open."

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

dont kid yourself. winning cures everything.

ie, if he ****s up the clock mgmnt and costs us a game, his demeanor will matter as much as curley hallmans.

just try to remember how lovely it looks the next down season he has. all that cute stuff you think you like about him begins to irk you rather quickly.

its like any relationship.

you arent that far from hating a bitch no matter how much you think you love her.

1 person likes this.
  8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

It's easy to take the high road when your kicking the other teams a$s. I bet he would have reacted a little different had the game been on the line and that call was about to cost us a win.

9. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Coach Saban has players just as loyal and these guys are excited to play for him as well. What kind of problems is Miles handling that escapes Saban's abilities? Trent was asked today what kind of teammate Maze is. He said, "He is a leader man, he's crazy. He's probably more like coach Saban with that short man syndrome." Doesn't sound like players who feel threatened and intimidated. Last year, Bama had a guy who could imitate Saban's louder personality, to the point of hysteria. Coach knew about it, had fun with it. Confusing game day and their relationship with the coach, doesn't explain their closeness or their success.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

When you're kicking everyone's azzes in it's pretty simple, really.