Legendary off-campus bars - ANCIENT THREAD

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Pastimer, Feb 2, 2004.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I remember the first time I went to the Kingfish. I had heard so much about it that I expected it to be a fancy/smancy establishment. When I got there and saw it was basically a huge aluminum shed, I was surprised to say the least. It was nice on the inside though. :hihi:

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Cahoots was worse. It was in an old strip shopping center on Nicholson, but it was a great seedy hippie/biker/outlaw cowboy club. I saw The Meters, Asleep at the Wheel, Willie Nelson, Luther Kent, Edgar Winter, Marcia Ball, Jerry Jeff Walker, Potliquor, lots of New Orleans and Austin Acts.

3. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

The Bengal was fun..

Ahh the funny bone. They still call me about 3 times a month trying to give me free tickets.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw Steve Stills play there once with Pot Liquor backing him up. Stills was so fried that Danny Ketacy had to take him by the hand and lead him to the stage but once he got up there he was great.

5. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I only went to one show there, in the summer of '75, as I noted earlier in this thread.

Robert Palmer played the entire Sneaking Sally Thru The Alley album and more on an absolutely sweltering night.

The entire crowd was dancing and sweating their @sses off in that tiny place.

Was going to see Lowell George there shortly after he left Little Feat, but couldn't make it.

Dude kicked it not long afterwards on the same tour, too much cola.

6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Bump.

The REAL Kingfish memorabilia.

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL7ifSxp9xU[/media]

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQezXbiroiE[/media]

9. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

I literally grew up right behind Chuck's in Addis. In fact, we lived for a while in a house we rented from Mr. Chuck.

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned J. Brian's Backcourt Lounge in Port Allen, owned and operated by Port Allen native and former LSU!basketball player J. Brian Bergeron in the late 70s to mid 80s or so.

10. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

My freshman year (04) was the height of Tiger Bar in TigerLand, every Thursday night that was the spot to be. 3 dollar "Big Ass Beers" and plenty of overserved underage kids. It got raided one day in the spring and hasn't been the same since. Pretty sure everyone who was in school during this time claims to have been there at the time of the raid. Yes, I was there too.