Legalizing Drugs

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CajunlostinCali, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

thats not true but my saying it does have a decent correlation with things being so

2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

nice talk, joy to you

3. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Interesting discussion. It’s an provocative subject as we see the positive impact with alcohol and weed. Martin mentions Portugal has very successful legalized drugs but as I understand their main problem was heroin and other narcotics. Those are drugs where people can be productive on a maintenance dose where OD isn’t an issue. I’m not so sure about drugs like cocaine, meth or various “uppers”. I admit to ignorance but can those drugs impact be controlled and maintenance be possible?
    Certainly decriminalization will reduce the violence that’s in the supply chain. It may also reduce the potential for people to travel down the path from one drug to the next. It will also insure the drugs are pure and without harmful additives.
    I can also see the benefits of treating users as sick rather than criminal. A real question is what to do with the current criminal distribution system that won’t be stopped easily.
    As I said an interesting topic. Certainly worth exploring but to think what took place in Portugal is the same as will happen here is dreaming.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There's a saying about cocaine the one line is too much and 10,000 aren't enough.

Simply decriminalizing users is not going to disrupt the supply chain or discourage criminals from smuggling and distributing them. It also won't make them any more pure.

But it would right the wrong of throwing users in jail and spending billions keeping them there. The only way to disincentivize it for organized crime is to go whole hog and make them as legal as alcohol and let legitimate companies produce and supply them. I don't think that will happen so even while they are illegal the people who want drugs will find them.

Winston1 likes this.
  5. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

key takeaways from Oregon’s election
    Oregon’s well-oiled vote-by-mail system delivered decisive results
    Ted Wheeler elected to 2nd term as Portland mayor
    Oregon becomes first state to legalize psychedelic mushrooms
    Oregon decriminalizes possession of street drugs, becoming first in nation

6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

I will certainly be watching how this shakes out with great interest. Could be a good case study at least. I agree with the new law or whatever btw. Duckman’s scenario of getting kids hooked on drugs would be a deal breaker to say the least. The influence of drugs or even the drug culture needs to be kept away from the youth. That’s extremely important. Kids need an environment of support and a good example to be able to lead a good life, contribute to society and be happy and successful. This whole decriminalization thing will be very tricky to navigate but will be good if it can be navigated successfully. In this instance, I think it’ll need lots of government control. Addicts need to be basically protected from themselves and that’s where the government has to do it with regulations and such. Hopefully it works.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  7. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Good luck Duck. Wish you the best out there amongst the looters, rioters, addicts, social justice warriors, and the like.

GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The only way to make it work is to take the financial incentive away from the criminal element. Maybe making it legal for doctors to write prescriptions to addicts. Might work but I really don't know

9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Forgot bath-salt zombies

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Worked out so well for oxy right?

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.