Lack of Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Tom Callender, Dec 22, 2007.

1. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I would think the QB position is more difficult to forecast than others, as far as who will be good at the next level. This is true going from college to the pros also. I think it is because the position requires quick mental reads and adjustments that are foreign to many QB's at the high school level. Oh, and do it in front of 90,000 screaming fans and millions watching on TV. You can have the physical tools, but not everyone performs well mentally under that kind of pressure.
    Hester is an oddity, a white, 4.6ish 40 time, running back starting in the SEC at about 225 lbs. For the most part running backs are much easier to project at any level. Adrian Peterson was the #1 RB out of highschool, great in college, great in the pros--just injury prone perhaps. Who didn't know Hershel Walker, Bo Jackson, etc., would excel at the next level?

2. TigerBait45

TigerBait45 Founding Member

I think hes probably in the 4.5's, actually. Maybe mid to high. Hes faster than you'd think he'd be.

3. Gregatron

Gregatron Founding Member

You know, there are intelligent posters on here that make a lot of sense, use reasonably good grammar and actually make sense that you could learn a lot from. Why do you insist on talking out of your as.s when you could be learning something? Please stop polluting this forum.

4. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I sincerely hope he can run that or better at the NFL combine to gain the best draft position possible. But his old Scout bio has him at 4.6 and those usually inflate a kid's numbers in a positive way. He does look a little heavy in the picture so maybe he could have improved his time a little. 4.6 doesn't look as slow in college as people think. Remember Maurice Clarret, the Ohio State star RB that came out early and tried to sue or petition the NFL to enter the league as a sophomore because he was supposedly so good--he ran a 4.6 something at the combine and was drafted by Denver in a later round. He was a bust.

5. TigerBait45

TigerBait45 Founding Member

He was out of shape though. Clarett was a good talent when he was on the field, but by the time he got into the NFL draft he was not what he once was.

I really don't know what Hester runs..I've seen it listed at 4.65 in some places, but we'll just have to wait until the combine or wherever he runs to see what it actually is. CBS reported during a game this year that he was running in the low 4.5's, so I guess its somewhere in that range.

6. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

He also chased down that Bama CB.. wonder what that CB's 40 time is

Watch Hester get drafted by a team like the Patriots and become Kevin Faulk's eventual replacement.

7. Bayou Bengal11

Bayou Bengal11 ~Orlando Tiger Coonass~

I see a lot of Matt Flynn in the video Ive seen of J-Lee. As a 5th year senior, I wouldn't bet against J-Lee being just as good if not better than Flynn.

My question is....does JJ red shirt??? IMO, Id begin the season with that plan barring any injuries to RP or JL.

8. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Hester had an angle on him, he didn't catch him from behind. Now when Chad Jones caught McFadden from behind, that had to shock a lot of people around the nation. Wouldn't it be great if Hester did find a home on the Patriots. I too have thought they would be a perfect team for him, given there uncanny ability to find a role for good football players.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Depends on Lee's development, but if Lee is further along than JJ (as we can only assume as he'll have a year in the system), then I see no reason why Jordan wouldn't redshirt.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

A lot people say that Jarrett Lee is going to be another Flynn, but how good do y'all think Flynn is? Rivals currently ranks him the #17 QB in the nation. The three other SEC QBs ranked are Tebow at #1, Andre Woodson at #8, and Erik Ainge at #11. Ohio State's Todd Boeckman is #25.

At the beginning of the year, it was Andre Woodson #6, Erik Ainge #7, Flynn #21. Tebow and Boeckman were NR.

Granted, it's hard to complain about having a QB who is ranked in the top 20 in the nation. And I feel bad not praising a kid who sat on the sidelines for 4 years waiting to play for us, especially, as it was mentioned above, when he is not even from Louisiana (but he did play high school ball with Ciron Black, right?). And we might very well have our first undisputed NC in 50 years with a team led by Flynn.

That said, Flynn reminds me of a Colt McCoy or Major Applewhite. Although I really don't know too much about those two, they just always seemed like scrawny kids. That's pretty much how I view Flynn. During that Arkansas game this year, Flynn attempted this long bomb, but it was embarrassing to watch how weak his arm is in person.

IMO, since Herb Tyler, Flynn is the scrawniest and weakest QB that we've had as a starter for us. Is that right? How would y'all rate the starting QBs LSU as had since Herb Tyler, and including Tyler?