Kobe Bryant dead in a Chopper Crash in CA

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Rougarou2020, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Rougarou2020

Rougarou2020 Freshman

It’s all over the news now

B2EEC50F-CA04-46AF-9481-7838F214E825.jpeg

lsu-i-like likes this.
  2. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

With his daughter, another child and parent. Terrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers for all families.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. lsutygr69

lsutygr69 Founding Member

Terrible tragedy. Shortly after it happened we were in the middle of shopping and the local radio station broke the news here in Orange County, CA.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I’m annoyed by how much the media is pushing this, but my thoughts are with his family. I respect the impact he’s had on popular culture and the hard work he put in.

Sounds like he and Shaq buried the hatchet. Despite his flaws, seemed like he was doing good in the world.

RIP Black Mamba

Bengal B likes this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The 24-hour news cycle at work. To lose an athlete who had so much impact at such a young age....comparisons that come to mind..... Roberto Clemente, but that happened in the early 1970's, when there wasn't close to the amount of real-time news coverage we have today. IndyCar racer Dan Wheldon, which brings me to the only thing bothering me watching all of this, and that is seeing so many (ESPN) anchors in tears. I have a problem believing so many of them were personally that close to him. The emotion was there when Weldon was killed, but that fatal crash was actually witnessed by on-air personnel who had to pull it together in the moment on live TV. Then there was the NASCAR on Fox anchor (female) who took us through their tribute a week later, but that particular anchor had actually been Wheldon's former girlfriend. It really was personal for her. The Dale Earnhardt reaction was similar, and again, happened with on-air talent as eye witnesses. Darrel Waltrip's performance that day was remarkable. In his very first broadcast, watched his younger brother get his first major win literally seconds after seeing his good friend suffer a fatal (although they didn't know it in the moment) crash. The spectrum of emotion had to be overwhelming for him.

I was moved by the spontaneity we saw yesterday.....the fans at the Pro Bowl choosing to chant his name when asked for a moment of silence....the in-game intentional shot clock violations (24 seconds) the Pels and Celtics performed at the start of the game; I believe that was done at all NBA games last night. On the other hand, I see Mark Cuban announcing no Dallas Maverick will ever wear no. 24 again......why? He didn't play for your team. Are you equating his contributions with that of Jackie Robinson? Feels like a look-at-me move.

But I don't want to sound like I don't have empathy for the people who are taking this hard, for no other reason than they were fans of the man as a player, or in appreciation of the suddenness of the tragedy, the loss of someone so young, the loss of 3 children. I felt a similar loss a few weeks ago of a person with whom my only connection was an appreciation of his music. It is a truly sad time, and one where the internet and social media can actually provide comfort. I lost myself in YouTube videos and Facebook comments from Rush fans for a few days.....it genuinely helped. I hope Kobe's fans can find similar comfort.

Bengal B likes this.
  6. Rougarou2020

Rougarou2020 Freshman

What an experience to hear in a large crowd! Superman ain’t supposed to die

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You're annoyed by what?

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

First thing I thought of was Clemente. Although Clemente at the time was still one of the elite players in the game. And on a mission to help out his home country in distress, so in that sense even that much more tragic.

Forgot about Earnhardt, and that was on the track doing what he loved.

I'm not in agreement with you questioning the ESPN anchors. That's raw emotion.

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Too much waxing poetic, and the 24/7 aspect of it.

Kobe was also a somewhat polarizing figure, everyone is acting like he was nothing but the bees knees now. I don’t mind being complimentary of the dude, but it’s been an onslaught.

PS: Thoughts with the families of other victims as well. Meant to say that earlier.

Jmg and furduknfish like this.
  10. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

I wish they would at least mention those who were with him. I know he did a lot with his life but their lives were no less important. Another young life was extinguished as well with family members now in pain. At least give their names a mention. They seem to look at them as an afterthought when they say “the others” when speaking of the event. Sorry but regardless of your accomplishments no one person is more important than anyone else, all life is precious.

HalloweenRun and tirk like this.