King cakes

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by stevescookin, Jan 25, 2018.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I know this is heresy....serious heresy, but I don't think king cakes are all that as pastry and they're over priced.

But anyway, which bakeries make the best??

Duong Phong (in New Orleans east) is my favorite...and theirs is $15.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Bayou Tiger likes this.
  2. stevescookin

For the price, I think king cakes are too expensive. And for $1.50 I can buy 3 very fresh donuts that are warm and sublime from the same bakeries.

King cakes are made a day or 2 ahead of time and are way too sweet. A day old donut is horrible. They don't even sell them.

The price of king cakes is high because their popularity and demand is married to the popularity and anticipation of the magic of carnival.

Give me a porfiterole or bread pudding any day over a slice of king cake.

[​IMG]

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You are right about most of them being overprotective for what they are. Especially the ones baked in grocery stores. Randazzo's has the rep in NOLA but I haven't had one of theirs in a long time. In Baton Rouge Gambino's makes a good one snd Calandro's market makes about 25 different varieties, some of them pretty exotic. And no, I haven't tried them all.

4. stevescookin

I like to give the king cake baby to a pretty girl while asking her if she'll have my baby.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Ambrosia.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I grew up on McKenzie's king cakes in the days before people started making KC's with filling. So to me, a real king cake is basically an elaborate cinnamon roll with colored sugar on top. Some bakeries skip the icing and just do the colored sugar. They should have their ovens confiscated.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like cinnamon rolls but if I'm going to pay for a king cake I want filling. I like the strawberries best and then pineapple.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I used to stop at Dufrene's bakery in Golden Meadow on the way back from Grande Isle. They had great French bread for making speckled trout poboys.
    One Mardi Gras season I got a king cake there and it was great.. @Nutriaitch is Dufrene's still there?

stevescookin likes this.
  9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I've learned to like some filled KC's; I'm just saying what it is traditionally to my way of thinking. And when its my turn to buy the KC, "traditional" is what you get.

10. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I just got an email with Haydel's king cake recipe in it. I may try to make it