Ketchup

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Lonestar pub in lower Manhattan and Elephant and Castle pubs in every city that has a Club Quarters Hotel. I know they're
    English because they serve Bangers and Mash.:)

2. Chase4LSU

Chase4LSU Waiting on Mettenberger

I don't like cold Ketchup

I hate when I ask for it and get the little paper cups that never hold enough.

I love Ketchup mixed with Tabasco on just about anything.

3. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Doesn't matter. About the only thing I eat with ketchup are fries. I don't too much care for the stuff. I actually hate it on meatloaf.

Barbecue sauce all the way. I'm still shocked that someone hasn't come in here and demand we call it catsup.

4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.:grin:

i'll let someone else start the next thread to finish the condiment trinity.

now, ketchup. i dont care for it cold, but i keep it in the fridge. im afraid of what would grow on it otherwise. i try to remember to get it out of the fridge so i can let it warm up some before i use it, but i rarely remember.

i hate it when in a restaurant i get a new bottle of ketchup on the table and it takes forever to start flowing. greenie and i have gotten into who knows how many fights on the best way to get it to flow. i say hold almost sideways, just slightly downwards and hit the bottom of the bottle with the end until it starts flowing, then once you get that first bit out. he insists on holding the bottle almost upside down and shaking and shaking. then i have to wait forever.:rolleye33:

did i just write a dissertation on how to get ketchup out of the bottle? geez i need more diet dr pepper. i know im not awake, but really....:hihi:

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I put ketchup in the fridge because it says to do so on the bottle and I just don't break it out that often.

On a side note, my daughter is a ketchup fiend. Although she doesn't call it ketchup. She's 20 months old and calls it simply "dip"

In her mind "dip" goes on everything.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ketchup goes rancid pretty fast if you ask me. Good restaurants keep their ketchup bottles in the fridge at night. There are a couple of place I won't eat at anymore because they just keep adding new catsup to old bottles that sit on the tables all the time and you can taste the rancid ketchup.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Try sticking a knife down the neck of the bottle and wiggle it around a little bit. This will stimulate the flow of the ketchup

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I love cold ketchup but I love everything cold. Buffalo wings, Pizza, salsa, everything in reason.

I also add Tabasco and Tony's to my cold ketchup.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i have mentioned this before, but in malcolm gladwell's latest book, he claims that heinz ketchup is the perfect product. apparently the recipe is far superior and it satisfies every part of your taste buds. it is sweet, bitter, salty and umame. i dont find it to be any better than the others. but i am not a ketchup enthusiast.

dont like my ketchup cold either.

10. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Room temp catsup is a must.

I guess it never gets hot enough out here to turn rancid.

Catsup without some kind of spice heat is just plain, bland, and pointless.

Sometimes I add my own heat, but I do like this in a bottle: