Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by APPTiger, Jul 27, 2020.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

It seems like the positive effects of hydroxy in the graph vs the obesity to COVID severity in the previous graph you posted share a similar correlation. Maybe the effects of hydroxy treatment diminishes with the increase in severity of COVID. Meaning that if COVID is not that bad, hydroxy looks good. But if COVID is not that bad, is hydroxy necessary? If COVID is severe, does hydroxy help? I don't know. There may be an in between area that has effectiveness.

I think these studies for and against tilt toward a desired outcome. But the ultimate decision has to be between the individual and doctor and in that I agree with you. I would want all my options available.

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Take a trip to downtown Portland. It will be quicker. LOL.

Bengal B and GiantDuckFan like this.
  3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

You asked for a scientific study well here you go. This from the New England Journal of Medicine
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014?query=TOC

HalloweenRun likes this.
  5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

6. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

Sigh ..... yet another misleading study.

How many people with “mild” Covid are admitted to the hospital? Answer ... NONE. Further, All of these patients were well into their illness before starting treatment, avg 8 days ”https://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.1056/NEJMoa2019014/suppl_file/nejmoa2019014_appendix.pdf
    (according to the CDC, average time between onset of illness and dyspnea is 5-8 days, and ARDS 8-12 days). So we are talking about people who’ve had Covid for about a week before seeking hospitalization because of a worsening of symptoms.

So again, we have a study investigating HCQ as a “rescue medicine” being reported by the lying ass mainstream media and people like you as a study disproving the claim that HCQ is helpful when applied as a preventative of mortality when used at or shortly after onset of illness. Let me explain the difference.

1) I spike a fever and cough, I run to doctor who puts me on HCQ and sends me home ... vs
    2) I spike a fever, I wait around for a week to see if it’ll go away, it gets worse, I can’t breath, I seek hospitalization, and begin receiving HCQ avg 9 days after onset of symptoms.

Medically, once you reach the stage of anoxia, there is NO drug that is useful, cause the damage has already happened, and the hospital transitions to managing severe symptoms in hopes of keeping you alive. This is a place where a drug like Dexamethazone comes in handy as it is a steroid used to clean up the mess, but it does nothing about COVID. The titers of virus are so high at this point that any antiviral is just pissing in the wind, though a specific antiviral like remdesivir could be helpful in preventing viral replication in distant organs like kidneys, but even here, the titer of virus will overwhelmed the antiviral.

So, no, this study does not prove anything.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Right. I've seen person after person saying what really kills the virus is the zinc, but its the HCQ that enables the body to absorb the zinc most effectively. HCQ alone has no effect.

LSUpride123 likes this.
  8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Pedo Joe will loan you his if you can find him and take it off his ear. Maybe Covid enters the ear Joe maybe on to something. On second thought Joe needs to wear it over his buttock cause he speaks out of his ass.
    biden-earmask.jpg

9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

https://www.aafp.org/journals/afp/explore/covid-19-daily-briefs.html

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Daily Research Briefs
    July 29, 2020, Research Update

United States/Canadian RCT of Hydroxychloroquine for Patients with Early, Nonsevere COVID-19 Finds No Benefit. It has been hypothesized that whereas hydroxychloroquine does not appear to work in severely ill patients, perhaps it could be helpful earlier in the course of illness or in patients with less severe illness. This study enrolled 491 nonhospitalized patients with confirmed or probable COVID-19 who were enrolled online. More than half were enrolled within one day of symptom onset. A limitation of this study is that only 149 had a positive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, whereas 280 had a PCR positive contact to enter the study and 37 had neither but had typical symptoms. Patients were randomized to hydroxychloroquine 800 mg, followed by 600 mg six to eight hours later, and then 600 mg once daily for four additional days. They initially assumed a 10% hospitalization rate, but this did not happen, so they changed the primary outcome to the difference between groups in symptom severity over 14 days. The median age was 40 years, 56% were women, 32% had a comorbidity, and 3% were Black. They found no difference in overall symptom severity or the percentage with symptoms between groups. Adverse effects were twice as common in the treatment group (43% vs. 22%, p < 0.001), mostly gastrointestinal. The number of hospitalizations (12 total) and deaths (two) was small and did not differ between groups. The lack of diagnostic confirmation in most patients is concerning; however, a second study in Spain with 293 patients with confirmed infection published July 16, 2020, in Clinical Infectious Diseases has similar results.

Written by Mark H. Ebell, MD, MS on July 17, 2020. (Source: Skipper CP, Pastick KA, Engen NW, et al. Hydroxychloroquine in nonhospitalized adults with early COVID-19: a randomized trial [published online July 16, 2020]. Ann Intern Med. 2020. https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4207(www.acpjournals.org))

https://www.aafp.org/journals/afp/explore/covid-19-daily-briefs.html

July 13, 2020, Research Update

Hydroxychloroquine Associated with Lower Mortality in Patients Hospitalized with COVID-19: Observational Study in Detroit. In this observational study from the Henry Ford Health System in Detroit, investigators examined the in-hospital mortality of 2,541 consecutive hospitalized COVID-19 patients in four treatment categories: hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) plus azithromycin (AZM), either drug alone, or neither drug. They excluded patients who died in the first 24 hours after admission and another 10% of patients for whom final outcome data were unavailable (e.g., still hospitalized, left against medical advice, or transferred to another facility). The median time to follow-up was 28.5 days. Overall in-hospital mortality was 18.1% (95% CI, 16.6% to 19.7%). Mortality for patients taking HCQ+AZM was 20.1% (95% CI, 17.3% to 23.0%); for HCQ alone, 13.5% (95% CI, 11.6% to 15.5%); for AZM alone, 22.4% (95% CI, 16.0% to 30.1%); and neither drug, 26.4% (95% CI, 22.2% to 31.0%). In the Cox regression analysis that adjusted for age, gender, comorbid conditions, and disease severity, the hazard ratio for mortality was reduced 66% (p < 0.001) compared with the group receiving neither HCQ nor AZM. The authors report wide variations in the use of corticosteroids among the different treatment groups: 36% in those treated with neither medication, 39% of those receiving AZM alone, 74% of those treated with both, and 79% of those receiving HCQ alone. This is an observational study. These kinds of studies can find associations but are fairly weak in determining a causal link between an exposure and an outcome. In this study, the findings are inconsistent with other observational studies and with data we have from the few randomized trials that exist. Additionally, they found no effect of steroids in the outcome, which is at odds with other studies (e.g., see Research Brief from June 30 on the effects of dexamethasone from the RECOVERY Collaborative Group), at least in those with severe COVID. Observational studies are subject to all kinds of bias and are subject to alternative explanations for the findings. For example, about 25% of the patients had missing measures of disease severity and were excluded from the regression model. The co-treatment with steroids is likely to reflect differences in disease severity. Observational studies are also unable to account for the “hidden” factors involved in how physicians decide the treatments they choose based on other patient characteristics. Finally, the regression analysis took into account only factors the authors chose and could not address residual confounding. In a randomized trial, the known and unknown factors associated with the outcome of interest are evenly distributed between the intervention groups.

Written by John Hickner, MD, MS, and Henry Barry, MD, MS, on July 7, 2020. (Source: Arshad S, Kilgore P, Chaudhry ZS, et al.; Henry Ford COVID-19 Task Force. Treatment with hydroxychloroquine, azithromycin, and combination in patients hospitalized with COVID-19 [published online July 1, 2020]. Int J Infect Dis. https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext(www.ijidonline.com))

10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member