Kapernick named person of year by GQ

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by el005639, Nov 13, 2017.

1. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I support free speech but it can be abused and I feel in this case it is. You have to remember this is these peoples job. If you do it at your job you are risking your livelihood. Like it or not where and how you exercise free speech matters.

As I said Kapernick and these other guys are wearing a team uniform when they are doing their protest. On whatever subject they protest racism or cops or countries whatever it is they are representing an organization that may not agree with their issue.

What is wrong with Kapernick leaving the game and going and standing in front of the police station and exercising his right to free speech in a peaceful manner. Not one thing. But he choose to do it at his job for the most effect. Which was an abuse of the trust of the entire organization.

Even though I disagree with him I would and people have died for his right to do this.

It is where and how you protest I disagree with because with freedom comes responsibility not to abuse it.

If you want to burn the flag or kneel in front of it do it in your personal life and that is true freedom being exercised in the way our writers of the constitution and bill of rights intended.

2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I thought about starting a new thread but think there is a commonality with this one. The MSM has become leftist and very politicized. They are also so out to get Trump they’re allowing their emotions to sweep away their judgement. Much of the media has been leaning left for 50+ years but seems to have lost its mooring. Glenn Greenwald and the Intercept are no Bannon and Brietbart. He eviserates CNN, NBC & CBS for their actions.

https://theintercept.com/2017/12/09...-refuses-all-transparency-over-what-happened/

3. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Good article. The MSM will never admit their bias tho or admit they are wrong

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I can't tell anyone enough how much our country depends on a free press...whether their opinion agrees with someone or not. People attack the press by saying, "Fake news". When they attack the press, they attack democracy.

The press has to express news AND opinion.

They always have since the founding of our country.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I agree but we also depend on the honesty of the press, excepting when they’re openly expressing opinion. I recognize the difference and respect even opposing opinion. We need that discussion.
    When the press dishonesty represents opinion as news or doesn’t keep a separation then we’re in trouble. Brietbart, Vox and other propaganda rags left and right are discounted as dishonest. When CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX, the NYT and others that are supposedly honest brokers misrepresent the news then the press isn’t doing its duty. They need to be called on that.....NOT by the state but BY THE PEOPLE.

stevescookin and Bengal B like this.
  6. stevescookin

Exactly.

For example, the MSM reported that the lady in Alabama added to Moore's yearbook inscription. Then I saw a report that she didn't add anything. I don't remember that website. I don't like Moore so I wanted to believe it...and did for a while until I didn't see any other MSM report confirming that. Someone probably intentionally deceived us by publishing bullshit.

That is the attack on the press that is an attack on democracy I was referring to. But spreading the BS by people who are misled is an attack too.

7. stevescookin

Before the advent of the internet people believed the MSM. Now, I hear reasonable people attack the MSM unjustly because they have a conflicting viewpoint than Fox or CNN for example.

This kills me because my brother works for the AP and is in the White House press corps...and he is completely scrupulous.

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

9. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

how can you know this, without seeing fox, Trump's propaganda channel, as the great abuser and biggest threat to our freedom of the press.

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

The first amendment is being attacked by both sides. This is a sobering article on the public’s drift from the concept of tolerance for free speech. We see it right here with @Rex and @Kikicaca castigating all who disagree as immoral and not worthy of the same rights as they enjoy. What I’m talking about isn’t disagreement such as we have between posters such as @Tiger in NC and @dachsie or @GiantDuckFan and @e1005639 or even @red55 and me.
    http://reason.com/archives/2017/12/11/the-end-of-free-speech

GiantDuckFan likes this.