Just bought a new cellphone; do I REALLY need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Rex, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Those plastic screen protectors dull the display and affect the feel of touchscreen input. I think I'll opt out for now. This new Google Pixel of mine (Android 7.1) has Gorilla Glass 4, which is supposed to be harder than metal and can't be scratched by keys or coins in my pocket. Anybody have a different experience?

By the way, this is a replacement for my Nokia Lumia 822, a Windows phone. Gotta say... I'm VERY sad that Windows phones didn't take off. The Windows phone OS is simple and sleek, the integration with my desktop PC running Windows 10 is stellar, and those "live tiles" are quite impressive. But Verizon has pretty much dropped support for that operating system, and Microsoft/Nokia is not producing any new phones, I hear. Wouldn't have upgraded at all except that my charging port wore out.

Favorite Android apps: Chess Free by AI Factory (OUTSTANDING chess program) and Kodi.

2. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

I took mine off, once it barely separated from the screen it became a heap of trouble. I have an open screen, but a survivor case. Dropped the iPhone 5 several times and no trouble yet. I think they're good at first, but if they start losing any grip they become worthless

3. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Based on the prices of phones these days and the costs of screen repairs ($175 for mine) I'd say they're a necessity. I have one of the tempered glass protectors on my iPhone 6s Plus. I forgot my phone was in my lap in the truck and got out, phone hit the parking lot and while I ended up with a cpl of hairline cracks in the screen protector, the phone screen itself was unblemished.

Small investment for piece of mind.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Based on most of your content I'd suggest a helmet

Scary that you are out and about sans adult supervision

Bengal B and COTiger like this.
  5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Windows is phased out bc it sucks on a mobile device. You and well not even bill gates likes it.

Gorrila glass will break but those film covers are annoying and will do little to save it if it lands right.

The clarity you lose over time isn't worth it to me.

Supposed to be a good phone I hear.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ask taint if there is an extra room in his ward

shane0911 likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I've never used a screen protector. Since 2008 I've only had one phone face crack.

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

You don't need a screen protector.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Scratch the screen protector, but get a good case.

MLUTiger likes this.
  10. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

i only have a flip leather case and keep my iPhone 6S in my front pocket with keys, change, everything else. After a year not one scratch on my screen. You don't need a screen protector, you probably dont need a heavy duty case like an otter box. And don't Armour All your new auto. The synthetics are amazing nowadays.