John Ferguson He was The Best

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CalcoTiger, Jul 25, 2022.

1. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

As a kid when LSU was not on TV as much listening to John Ferguson call the games was how my family spent our Saturdays. My fondest memories was me,my brother, and mom and dad laying in front of the console stereo listening to the games with popcorn.

My dad being a high school coach every once in awhile we would get to make the trip down to see them in person as my dad could get tickets on his coaching card. For me and my brother tiger stadium was hallowed ground and still is.

Loving the LSU Tigers has been a priviledge my whole life starting when i was 3 years old in 1963.
    Win or Lose in good or bad i bleed purple and Gold and always will.

Dandy Don was mentioning John Ferguson today and it just brought me back to the days when Saturday nights were spent laying in front of the radio.

kcal, mctiger, Hou-duco and 2 others like this.
  2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I loved his enthusiasm and his love for the Tigers. However listening to him call a game on the radio was an adventure. Many a time he’d say something like “ there’s a huge hole , he could go all the way…..tackled for a 5 yard loss”. Or “ the Tigers have him trapped….and he scores; 56 yards for a touchdown “.
    I guess it was a more innocent time but he was still endearing and a treasure

BornOnTheBayou likes this.
  3. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

I spent my Saturday nights during football season listening to John & his partner Walter Hill.

kcal, Hou-duco and Winston1 like this.
  4. JaxTigFan

JaxTigFan Founding Member

Count me in on listening to Tiger football with John Ferguson.
    Back in old days when local sport reporters covered skeet shooting tournaments at the Baton Rouge Gun Club John Ferguson interviewed me for a spot on his TV sports segment. I was 11.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    BornOnTheBayou, kcal and Winston1 like this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Really he and Hilll were quintessential expression of 1950s & 60s SEC football.

BornOnTheBayou likes this.