John Emery, Raydarious Jones suspended

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MobileBengal, Aug 21, 2022.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The head coach says different but we will just take your word for it

MobileBengal likes this.
  2. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Was looking up Kelly's drafted Running Backs in 12 seasons at ND. He had 4 RBs drafted there. I was a bit surprised there weren't more.

Kyren Williams 5th round (2022)
    Dexter Williams 6th round (2019)
    C.J. Prosise 3rd round (2016)
    Theo Reddick 6th round (2013)

I don't know if Kelly is wanting a really strong running game or how Denbrock might use RBs in his Offense. Could be they want 80% passing. I'm certainly excited about new LSU RB recruits Kaleb Jackson & Trey Holly.

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Your power to ignore is unmatched. This stems from issues in 2020, when he had covid twice, had a grandparent die of covid, and had his step father hospitalized and near death from covid. His step father is still not doing well and I believe was just hospitalized again from covid complications. He has had his act together since then. Yes, ultimately it is on him to take care of his business, but there are specific provisions in the NCAA bylaws for waivers due to these sorts of circumstances, and according to Brody Miller, other players got them. For whatever reason, the NCAA denied Emery's.

shane0911, Rolan and Winston1 like this.
  4. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Yeah, dude has had a rough go at it, and from what people say about him he is a great teammate and doing what he is supposed too. This is all on the NCAA and their bullshit. About time to just get rid of the NCAA imo.

MobileBengal likes this.
  5. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I don't doubt he went through a tough year, but it was tough on a lot of players. The NCAA doesn't just blindly hand out waivers to a select few and ignore others. I'm sure there is a lot more to the story because players aren't just benched for an entire season for nothing. If that was the case, I'm sure LSU would have fought it vigorously and they didn't. My point is Emery has been there for several years and has yet to contribute in any meaningful way. I would love nothing more than for him to explode and become the 5-star RB he came in as, but up to this point, he hasn't shown a commitment to succeed in the classroom or on the football field!

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. MobileBengal

But they do. The NCAA is notorious for exactly that. They have never had any semblance of consistency in any enforcement of any kind.

But they did. Emery had the same attorney that won Kristian Fulton's appeal, Don Jackson, and he said on several occasions that he thought it was going to be a slam dunk.

But he has. He was an honor student before and after the period in question. Kelly has said on numerous occasions that Emery has done everything the right way since he was hired, and had been impressed with him on the field.

7. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Honor student?

"According to multiple reports, running back John Emery will be suspended for the first two games of the season. Emery was also ineligible for the entire 2021 season due to academic reasons after playing a supporting role at running back during his first two seasons on campus. He is attempting to appeal the suspension,"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...games-of-2022-season-plans-to-appeal-ban/amp/

8. MobileBengal

Yep.

"Within the last year and a half, Emery has lost his grandmother to cancer, had multiple family members contract COVID-19 and of course had to transition to virtual school due to the pandemic.

Before the situation in question, Emery was reportedly an honors student. Jackson also told The Advocate that the NCAA was aware of this when they denied LSU’s initial request for an academic waiver."

"On the NCAA’s website, under compliance, there are situations in which waivers have been awarded in the past. They have circumstances for personal hardships, defined as “death of an immediate family or team member, diagnosis of terminal illness or hospitalization of immediate family or team member, victims of inappropriate sexual behavior, inpatient hospitalization, or catastrophic events." As far as we know, Emery’s situation seems to check at least three of these boxes. It is unclear through their own criteria, why LSU’s appeal was denied, especially if Emery was an honor roll student beforehand."

https://www.lsureveille.com/sports/...cle_8c26e4c2-14cb-11ec-978d-33924c189f63.html

"Emery tried to regain sufficient academic standing this summer and was an honor student, Jackson said. LSU tried to get Emery a waiver because of his family's hardships. The NCAA denied the request."

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_6b4460da-1576-11ec-997b-af3c79bdc815.html

9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Only remember the talk of him taking noncredited classes. Which I think is equally his fault and prev staff unless against privacy rules.

Hadnt heard any of the family stuff before so thanks. Hope he keeps it all together and gets back on the field.

MobileBengal likes this.
  10. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

If you can read between the lines, your 2nd link above (from Sept 14 of last year) seems to explain what the “lingering issue” is that is causing him to be suspended for the 1st 2 games this year.

The article states;
    “The NCAA deemed Emery academically ineligible the day before LSU’s season opener. Emery hasn’t played in the past two games and will miss the rest of the season, coach Ed Orgeron confirmed Monday, unless his status changes.”

So the NCAA ruled him ineligible for last year yet LSU didn’t formally announce him ineligible untill after 2 games. Seemingly it was’t good enough to not play him those games.