John Emery, Raydarious Jones suspended

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MobileBengal, Aug 21, 2022.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

lsu-i-like and kcal like this.
  2. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

lsu-i-like, furduknfish and kcal like this.
  3. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I'm just about done with Emery. If a 5-star RB with a ton of potential can't get his act together after a year off due to academics, and then allows it to happen again, then he doesn't deserve his spot on the team. The rest of the team, with exception of Jones, knew what was required of them academically and took care of what they had to in the classroom, so why can't Emery? There comes a point where it's just not worth it anymore and Emery has reached that point with me!

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

You don't read all that well. It clearly says this is "connected" to whatever happened last year and that Kelly has said he has done everything expected of him since he has been here. So whatever this is, it seems to be from back then and not since then.

Cool your f'ing jets

Winston1, Swerved and Hou-duco like this.
  5. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

So far I trust Kelly to prioritize team and culture; I support giving guys a leash, especially talented guys, but also keeping a firewall there to protect the program. These guys really do benefit from making it work at LSU; LSU is a magical place, especially with the right leadership.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

As Shane said, this isn't anything new. This is all related to 2020, which was an incredibly difficult year for him. That he didn't get an appeal says more about the NCAA than him, when plenty of other players did. Plus, we can't afford to lose him. Without him, we're down to Cain and Goodwin as scholarship RBs (yes, I know Josh Williams got a scholarship, but he was still a walk-on), and that is dangerously thin.

lsu-i-like and shane0911 like this.
  7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Apparently, you didn't read it correctly. It's connected because Emery once again has not fulfilled his obligation in the classroom. He paid for last year's screwup by being suspended the entire season last year! This is a new situation that is also about academics!!!!! Like CBK stated, he's in great status with the football team, which means that he either got arrested, found breaking some NCAA rule (which he hasn't) or it's academics - the same crap he didn't take care of last year! Punishments run a definite period of time, not continuous! Both are pertaining to academics, but he paid for being a DA last year, last season. This is a whole new season and he apparently didn't learn from his previous mistake!

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

https://www.si.com/college/2022/08/21/lsu-rb-john-emery-suspended-two-games
    According to the attached, this does not appear to be a new issue. It describes the two-game suspension as for “lingering issues” related to last year’s full-season punishment. “Miller reported that Emery and LSU are seeking to argue that he has been meeting academic standards since Brian Kelly took over in Nov. 2021.” Unfortunately none of us have a clue as to what the “lingering issues” could entail. Probably some Mickey Mouse NCAA BS. Does anyone know when Emery was formally suspended? I was wondering if he was allowed to work with the team for some time last year (though he played in no games) before the suspension occurred.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

@CagedTiger

See

10. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

The reality is Emery should have never put himself in this position in the first place. He's one of the highest rank RBs LSU has ever landed, but he's entering his senior season and LSU fans have yet to see any real contribution to the program. If he has to sit out two games this season, he can only blame himself. I don't have much faith in him at this point. He's entering his senior season, and he still hasn't gotten his act together.

lsu-i-like and Perple like this.