John Bolton in, McMasters out

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerTap, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Running from police is never a good idea. As others have said let this be fully investigated before jumping to conclusions. That being said one conclusion I’ll jump to is that this shows what stress does to a shooter’s accuracy. These police were trained and practiced with their weapons yet took 20 shots before they stopped. What do you expect of a teacher who likely won’t have the training or practice? I’d rather a teacher shoot a gunman who’s killing students but recognize there’s a risk of collateral damage.

HalloweenRun and Bayou Tiger like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The report was that the perp was shot 20 times. That wording to me means that he was hit by 20 rounds. Police are trained to keep firing until their gun is empty once deadly force is initiated.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

They don't? What should they have done, then? All they know is that someone has committed a crime, has resisted arrest, has fled the scene, is not obeying commands, and it's dark. That's HIS back yard, not theirs. They don't know the layout. They don't know if he's on drugs, armed, has help. All he had to do was listen and follow their orders when they first arrived.

It's called adrenaline, not emotion.
    Admirable and yet I don't see a parallel between the situation in Sacramento and Mardi Gras. A quick perusal of stories related to Mardi Gras shootings mostly indicate that the police aren't present at the time of most shootings and that plenty of suspects escape.

A better comparison would be what happened to Officer Marcus McNeil. "A New Orleans police officer was shot and killed in the line of duty in East New Orleans overnight, Superintendent of Police Michael Harrison said at a news conference early Friday morning.

Officer Marcus McNeil, 29, was assigned to New Orleans' 7th District, and was on routine patrol along with three other officers shortly after midnight.

When they exited their vehicle after observing what was described as suspicious behavior, the officers were immediately fired upon by a male suspect, Harrison said.

One officer was struck and collapsed at the scene, while one or two officers returned fire, striking the suspect, according to Harrison."
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/13/us/new-orleans-police-killed/index.html

If you research, you'll find plenty of recent stories regarding police being killed by ambush. This is what they live with every shift. They don't know if they are being lured by potential cop haters. So they arrive on scene, in the dark, observe suspicious behavior, have to chase the subject, see that he doesn't obey commands. It's ridiculous for people to then protest as if this is some "typical" racially-motivated shooting.

Not at all times in all situations. Nobody and nothing is perfect. Under certain circumstances, the police have no alternative.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of cops, even those involved in shootings, are also outstanding people. They are tasked with almost impossible job performance expectations. Public opinion is heaped on the entire entity based on the behaviors of a few. That is emotional bullshit.

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Guess what?

Two N.O. police came in for breakfast and they...were talking about the Sacramento incident. Eventually, they told me how this week they responded to a call with a gun involved around here. They came on the scene and found a black guy with a gun. He was bleeding and there was a car on the median. Their guns were drawn and they ordered the guy to drop the gun...He didn't. They ended up taking the gun away from the guy without tasing him or shooting him.

Turns out that the guy with the gun was the victim. His girlfriend tried to run him over and the car knocked him down. He hit his head on the curb. Then she tried to shoot him and the 9MM jammed and he took the gun away from her. That's when the cops rolled up. They both told me that every routine stop or call can end up with them being shot at.

Good thing they credited their training for saving that guy's life. Good thing people that think that it's OK to shoot first because they assume the worst aren't in the majority around here !!

Glad I live in New Orleans where the police are well trained.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  5. stevescookin

Again...what should they have done?
    (Not shot him 20 times).

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Guess what? I did a search to find an article on this incident and the first link that came up was this...

"After a marathon day of testimony, Saturday jurors heard the closing arguments in the trial of Travis Boys, accused of killing New Orleans Police Officer Daryle Holloway in 2015."
    http://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l...ng-nopd-officer-daryle-holloway/289-531619963

Apparently, "Officer Daryle Holloway was shot and killed while transporting aggravated assault suspect Travis Boys to jail.

The New Orleans Police Department has been investigating how Boys allegedly killed Holloway and escaped custody. It said in a statement Monday that an interview with the officer who initially arrested Boys for aggravated assault on June 20 revealed "sloppy police work"

Detectives allege Johnson "deliberately attempted" to leave a .40 caliber casing at the scene and "not process it for evidence," the force said in a statement. "In addition, detectives learned that Officer Johnson recovered a box of unused .40 caliber bullets at the scene and did not process it as evidence."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-leads-arrest-officer-wardell-johnson-n387836

Wow. One officer lost his life because his fellow officer did a crappy job. Law enforcement obstruction of justice....he must have missed the class the FBI taught.

However, if you have a link detailing your story from this week, I'd love to read it.

1. What time of day?
    2. Was the gun ever pointed in their direction?
    3. Was the victim supine?
    4. Was the victim attempting to flee?

The officers in Sacramento didn't assume the worst....they were in a pursuit of someone who had broken the law and refused to obey orders. I watched the body cam video. It was an intense situation. They didn't have the benefit of a lengthy consideration of options. It was split second....in the dark....with a perp who would not listen. Exactly what training would have convinced the perp in this case, to surrender? If the police truly believed he was armed, should they risk their own lives to attempt wrestling a gun from the potential shooter? The perp here drew the officers to his grandparents home/backyard. Nice guy. The point here, is that all situations cannot be lumped together.

Now, if you want to talk about assuming the worst....a civil rights attorney has released the names of the officers despite the Sac'to PD saying they would release the names within the week. And now these officers are under threat of death.

Tell that to Officer Holloway's family. I'm sure there have been a lot of changes and improvements within the NOPD. Training, oversight, and accountability are always a good thing. And yet, there is no such thing as perfection or simple solutions to complex problems.

Perhaps. How many times would have been "okay"? Is it possible that the first 1 or 2 shots would have resulted in his death? Do you truly believe that these officers, in that exact situation, could have resolved without shooting IF they believed the perp was armed? If so, by what method?

7. stevescookin

WRONG EVENT !!!

8. stevescookin

Not entertaining your ridiculousness. So you found out another incident. Of course when the police are shot at, they shoot back.

The reason that guy was on trial was because he was taken ALIVE.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Of course you won't enter. I keep asking for facts and you give anecdotes. I asked for a link to your story. I would love to read about it.

The point about Officer Holloway is that when I looked for your story, THAT is the one that came up. But I asked some really simple questions in order to see if your story was comparable to the one in Sac'to. The devil is in the details. Why is it a problem to discuss them?

Oh, and the perp in Sac'to is being referred to as a stay-at-home dad....who got out of jail a month ago. The person who called 911 said he saw someone with a black hoody breaking in to cars. A police helo allegedly saw that someone use a tool bar to break a glass door of a private home. Police arrived. They told Clark to stop. He didn't. Now here we are and the story being pimped by the media is that racist cops shot an innocent man just standing in his own back yard, with a cell phone. Who had more chances to avoid the outcome here? Clark or the police?

Boys was "taken" alive, yes, initially....after the officers responding to a domestic violence incident failed to properly pat him down and he got in to Holloway's car with a gun.

Upon Boys' subsequent arrest, after fleeing, arresting officer Warter said, "Boys initially responded to officers' commands to get down, but then he was unresponsive." Imagine that....he responded to commands, didn't point a gun, and managed to avoid being shot by Warter. Not comparable to Sacramento.

10. stevescookin

I know you were looking up my story and ran into the Boys story. But it has very little to do with Sacramento. That is the WRONG INCIDENT I was referring to.

The reason I am not engaging you any further is because you are not that important.

Bayou Tiger likes this.