Jindal scraps tax plan...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mctiger, Apr 8, 2013.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Wow, very surprised by this considering the way he's gone about things in the past. I think it was totally dead on arrival. Both republicans and democrats were challenging it. It will be interesting to see what happens now. If we kill income tax, the burden should move to property tax as well as sales tax.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I saw this coming last week based on some comments by Stephen Moret. He is taking the Obama approach now. Giving a broad framework and tellign the legislature to sort it out.

4. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Jindal couldn't afford a big political loss in the Louisiana legislature if he has ambitions for 2016 and I'm pretty sure he does. The fact that he tried to eliminate the state income tax will give him enough traction with hardline conservatives and the moderates will appreciate his willingness to back off. Probably a good political move for ole Bobby.

5. mctiger

The Homestead exemption is as dangerous a political third rail in Louisiana as social security. I can't see that ever changing, which is what probably has to happen to see a meaningful increase in revenue from property taxes.

6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Louisiana (as a whole) has very low property taxes in comparison to other states. New Orleans seems pretty high, but other than that they are lower.

mobius481 likes this.
  7. mobius481

Why is that the only way to see a meaningful increase. I don't know the stats but I'm sure there are lots of residential properties assessed over 75k and also plenty of commercial properties. It really wouldn't be that hard to have meaningful increases in revenue that won't affect too many lower income families.

8. mobius481

There's a reason texas has no income tax. They have huge property taxes and also franchise taxes. The end game is that a state needs a certain amount to run and you have to get it somehow.

9. mobius481

I think that has a lot to do with it too. Couldn't afford to not get it done.

10. mctiger

You're probably right. I was talking out of my ass. :confused: