Jerald Watson committment to Auburn

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by jo3269, Jan 18, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I saw him play in the Plaquemine Jamboree, and I made mention on the Lair and here that I didn't think he was as good as he was made out to be...

A local magazine editor (and a former employer) went nuts and said that it was ludicrous that this guy was "overhyped"...

Looks like I'm not the only guy who thought this guy was really not all he was cracked up to be...

2. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

Auburn beats out LSU

AUBURN - Auburn swiped a football commitment from national champion LSU on Sunday.

Tailback Jerald Watson of Central Catholic High School in Morgan City, La., was one of 19 prospects on official visits to Auburn over the weekend. He said he told Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville on Sunday that he will sign with the Tigers on Feb. 4, national signing day.

"I committed to Auburn," said Watson, an early commitment to LSU. "Coach Tuberville is such a straight-up guy. I was expecting something special to happen when I woke up this morning. I just had a real good feeling."

Watson, 5-11 and 205 pounds, said he will cancel scheduled visits to Mississippi State and Florida State.

"I'm 100 percent committed to Auburn," Watson said. "They want me to come in right away as a third-down back and to help return punts and kicks."

Watson, who rushed for 6,100 yards and 62 touchdowns in his high school career, said Tuberville was excited when he told him his decision.

"He told me they really needed me," Watson said. "I felt like LSU just wanted me."

Continued

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

link doesn't work.

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Big Ears is one drowning mf. I'll bet this kid did feel needed, LOL. No line to block for him ... Auburn is as harmless as a fly. I still hate to see him go there as a RB. Don't buy into this "sour grapes" crap, this kid has great upside and is one helluva player. This is life at the TOP ... and it'll get better and we'll see bigger defections than this ... they all want to play early ... sadly they buy into the lies. He'll rue the day he took this shortcut and went to Aubarn

5. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Betta to be wanted by a winner...

...than needed by a loser...

"He told me they really needed me," Watson said. "I felt like LSU just wanted me." "He told me they really needed me," Watson said. "I felt like LSU just wanted me."

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Watson was also impressed with Tubby's honesty: "Coach Tuberville told me that LSU is agonizing over having to share a National Championship and he assured me that that will not be a problem if I commit to Auburn University".:D

7. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I'm so very happy that Tommy T. has someone in this world that seemingly looks up to him. One day I hope and fervently wish that the jet on the South Side of TS flies up his @ss.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Playing time is always a recuits number one consideration. LSU will have sophomore starters at RB next season. Auburn will have senior RB's next season. He'll play quicker at Auburn.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Watson has been told by Auburn that he has a chance to play and contribute his freshman year, and compete for the starting TB job the following year. LSU intended to "gray shirt" him, meaning he would not even have practiced this fall, and joined the team in the spring. I'm dissappointed that we won't see Jerald at LSU, but I know this guy personally. He's a good kid, who won't pull a Brandon Jacobs and start running off at the mouth. Like I said, I'm dissappointed, but I wish him well.

10. LSULSULSU

LSULSULSU Founding Member

Watson is a class act

He want PT but his heart is still at LSU.

<<"The atmosphere [at LSU] is unbelievable," Watson said. "Of course, LSU is the loudest stadium in the country - I'll give them that - and the people there are freaking awesome. But Auburn is a great place. I envision seeing myself playing against LSU. That's something I want to do now; I'm pumped up to do that." >>

http://www.lsureveille.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/01/21/400e38ec77cfb