Jennings or Harris for 2015?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Apr 7, 2015.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

We're assuming the defense and special teams plays lights out. That obviously isn't a given. We may be barely a decent defense after the turnover of the coaching staff on that side of the ball.

The time for asking for a QB to be "serviceable" at LSU may be over. We need for that position to be as solid as our running game and matching the quality of receivers we have on this roster.

tirk likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Pipe dream

3. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

80%

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

there is no other option as far as jennings is concerned. he may improve incrementally but based on what we've seen so far, dramatic improvement (2nd option receiver, etc.)is not going to happen.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Harder than it needs to be. If they have to wait for the play from the sidelines, time and opportunity is lost. A quarterback must be able to read the defense, know who is in the game on offense and defense, know the scripted play and two alternate plays, and determine which side to run it on. He must do this at a glance in a few seconds and make a quick decision. Then he must still have time to change the call at the line if everything goes to shit.

It's a lot to expect from a true freshman, which is why nobody plays them unless they have to. I suspect both quarterbacks will be better at knowing what they must know this season. They must "get out of the huddle" quickly and with confidence.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Perhaps. But Jamarcus Russell had a high ceiling, too. Big man with a cannon arm. Took him three years to see the field because he had issues with the play book and reading defenses. On the field, his athletic ability got him a lot of attention and a number one draft pick. But his deficiency caught up with him again in the NFL and his ceiling just didn't matter. It takes a while to learn the ropes in Division I football. Just because Harris didn't pick it up instantly doesn't mean that he can't. But it may take him a while.

BayouBengal014 likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't think it was JaMarcus' deficiencies that caught up with him other than his laziness. Once he got that guaranteed $34 Million he just said "fuck it." I ain't workin' no mo." If he had a decent work ethic he would still be in the NFL.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I remember him leaving after his Jr year, and I know at least once Randall was pulled and Russell went in. I think it took him about 1 year to see the field.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

JR redshirted as a freshman, he was actually on the sideline in 2003 for the national championship I wanna say. I wonder if it's just LSU, because Saban had some difficulty at qb when he was here too. Not nearly as much but still, his qb situation at Alabama has been pretty cut and dry.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Saban's biggest QB problem was in 2002 when they were 6-1 and Matt Mauck got injured and he had to play Marcus Randall.