Jennings or Harris for 2015?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Apr 7, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I was ambivalent until 2011. Like Jennings and Harris, neither could separate himself as young quarterbacks. In 2011 I was 100% supportive of the quarterback that was 9-0 as a starter rather than the one that embarrassed his team and fanbase with an assault charge and suspension and then came back and lost us what had been described as the best season in college football history.

Don't get me wrong like Shane always does. I am not promoting Jennings as the best quarterback. He has issues, but so does Harris, which the minions seem to keep ignoring. I contend that they are making Jennings out to be horrible just because they imagine that Harris would have been better if he had actually been good enough to get on the field. Jennings does not have to be bad for Harris to be good. I do not defend Jennings play as much as I abhor the personal vilification of him that has gone on around here. It's just childish.

I've seen an awful lot of these quarterback battles in the last 40 years at LSU and one thing is clear . . . nobody is anointed starter until he takes the job for himself by his performance on the field. If his practice performances are not good enough to earn the respect of his coaches and teammates and get on the field, he can only blame himself. And to his great credit, this is exactly what he has done.

Another thing that is clear is that the usual whiners and scapegoaters always imagine that the quarterback on the bench is clearly better than the quarterback in the game. Always.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

1 has a live arm that's it. Neither is very accurate, and both can easily be fooled by safeties who disguise their intent halfway decent. I don't trust either guy and my guess is you'll see a lot of the same thing from them both this season.

ParadiseiNC and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  3. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

The problem is that Jennings, even with an extra year in the system and a year as a starter, can't pull away from Harris. He got the job last year by default because he was one year senior to true freshman Harris. The only reason anyone was calling for Harris to get some playing time is because Jennings kept tripping over his pecker. I don't care if it's Jennings, Harris, or McMillan under center this year, I just want the best we've got. I never argued that Harris should start last year, I just wanted him to get some playing time to get him ready for this year because he is our best option. But because he rode pine, he's still not entirely ready. Still the best option, imho. He won't get better until he sees the field.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If Les didn't play Harris in the Arkansas game he might never play him? What did they have to lose?

5. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Which QB was called whale shit on the bottom of the ocean in these forums? Arrogant? Immature? A crybaby? Jennings is not the best QB - that's all I've said. I stand by it. I've complimented him as a person/student athlete. Harris is getting trashed by the pumpers both talent and character wise and you've stood by unbothered by any of it.

TwistedTiger and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  6. red55

Can't argue with that. My issue is with the fan boy vilification of Jennings. It makes no sense to me at all.

7. red55

I haven't heard Harris being trashed character-wise at all. His football shortcoming have been commented on as have Jennings'. Harris' problem was never lack of character or or lack of ability, it was lack of experience, know-how, and maturity. That is an issue with all young quarterbacks including Jennings who got very little PT before last year, too. Most college quarterbacks get redshirted for a year to get older, more experienced, learn the playbook and earn the respect of their teammates. Neither Jennings nor Harris had that opportunity. This is why I expect both will be improved this season.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Heaven forbid we talk badly of a quarterback who performed at such a high level as Jennings.

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Vilification?

WTF is that shit? Saying he isn't good isn't vilification.

I have all of zero reasons to vilify a kid I don't know and honestly, wished he was better than he was. LSU is so called elite yet sucks ass at passing.

Its not like this is a single year occurrence out of 10 years.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No you old coot, the post you replied to is exactly what I have been saying. There is no Jennings must suck so Harris can be great, none at all. Jennings fucking sucks, thats it. Did you watch ANY of last season? Its not vilification, its the god damned facts. I don't care if Les himself gets out there and slings the rock, he can't do worse than Jennings.

TwistedTiger likes this.