Jennings or Harris for 2015?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUpride123, Apr 7, 2015.

1. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Here are a couple of observations:
    • Won't bury the lede here -- Jennings and Harris both looked very comfortable in what they doing, for the most part. Harris looked a little shaky early on behind the backup offensive line, but that's not unwarranted because they were giving up pressure steadily. After a few series, all that went away and he finished 17-21 for a 178 yards with two touchdowns and a pick.
    • The biggest takeaway there is that ultimately, Harris can simply throw the ball. Not just better than Jennings, but better than most quarterbacks in this conference, I'd wager. His first touchdown to Malachi Dupre was a thing of beauty. Dupre was covered with safety help, but Harris tossed a long, hard rainbow towards the endzone pylon that either his guy would get or no one would get. He made a similar pass in the second quarter to D.J. Chark for a 45-yard gain, just gunning the ball out where his receiver had a chance to make a play.
    • To boot, he stayed within himself at smart moments as well. Example: on a third-and-nine in the first quarter, Harris found John Diarse for a 7-yard gain. Diarse had stumbled on the route, but Harris could see he had open space and stayed calm, sliding up in the pocket and throwing a dart. It would have been an easy for a QB to discount the open guy and try to break contain, but Harris made the measured play, and while it didn't pick up a first, it maintained field position and had it been a real game, LSU would have been in good position to consider going for it on fourth down.
    • Jennings was a little more up and down, but it's really hard to complain about a 13-for-20, 242-yard, two-touchdown performance. Like Harris, Jennings looks like he has a solid feel for the play, and aside from a really risky red-zone toss to Dupre, he doesn't take a lot of risks with the ball. But he just isn't consistently accurate enough. Even some of his passes that were completed were really rough looking, such as the 37-yard touchdown to Dupre or the 70-yarder to Travin Dural. The long completion the Dural was particularly rough. He'd beaten Russell Gage on a double-move the walk-on safety had busted. Dural was WIDE, WIIIIIDE open, and he practically had to field a punt. It gave the defense enough time to recover and turn what should have been an 83-yard touchdown into a "mere" 70-yard completion. Although the irony of complaining about a 70-yard pass is certainly not lost on me, and it shouldn't be lost on you, either.
    • http://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2015/4/19/8455051/lsu-spring-game-postscript-thoughts

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I am and you should consider that instead of simply refusing to accept that Jennings is not as bad as you make him out to be.

3. red55

Why are you ignoring the TD fade pass? That was the play you were supposed to see and realize that, yes Jennings can throw a fade and put it exactly in the right spot.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

right

blind squirrel theory here. and as I have stated, its the only thing he can do, throw the ball high in the air and let the WR work it out. I don't know why you try so hard to defend him. He sucks Red, face it, realize it, make peace with it, Jennings is a terrible QB.

5. red55

I will do no such thing. So far, both quarterbacks are remarkably average. You are just one of those people that always need to invent a scapegoat for things that annoy you. I have learned to live with that.

6. shane0911

There is no escape goat here. Its really quite simple. 1 of the 2 can throw and the other can't. Its just that simple. You like the guy that can't I like the guy that can.

7. red55

Sergeant, neither of these quarterbacks could do jack shit last year. Both will be better this year. NOBODY KNOWS if Harris can pull away from Jennings by his performance on the field until he actually fucking does so.

And don't start with the Elmer Fudd won't play him and doesn't want to win bullshit. He has more in the game than anyone on the planet. You know he is going to play or you would have taken my bet. You know Harris got a shot last season and immediately tripped over his pecker.

8. shane0911

settle down francis

Here is what I am saying, once more, in english. Harris throws the ball better and its not close. You can argue, you can get red in the face, you can throw an all out temper tantrum but at the end of the day Harris is still a better passer. He was last year, he is this year and he will be next year and the year after that. If you can't see that then maybe football isn't your thing.

Now, if Harris did something to get into the dog house last year who knows? Has to be something like that because there is NO other reason for him not to see ANY playing time after the start at Auburn ESPECIALLY as dreadful as our QB play was. We will see if anything changes this year, I doubt it because Les isn't big on change but just so you know, Harris throws a better, more accurate, more catchable ball. And its not close. All that other shit is speculation.

TwistedTiger likes this.
  9. rrarr

rrarr Freshman

Jennings:
    2014 Season - 111/227 for 1611 yds with 7.10 ypa. 48.9% CP. 11TD / 7 INT

Harris:
    2014 Season - 25/45 for 452 yds with 10.04 ypa. 55.6% CP. 6TD / 2 INT

I'm more lurker than poster; I find these forums a good source for news aggregation. @red55 Did you "support" Jefferson or Lee as QB? Just trying to get a line on your track record.

10. red55

Anybody that thinks he can foresee the future suffers a serious loss of credibility in my eyes.