January 6

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jul 27, 2021.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Fine sentiment, but we live in the 21st century, not the 18th or 19th. Hell, the Founding Fathers didn't bother with term limits in the Constitution because in their minds, only the finest people would want to take on the burden of governing, and they would only want to do so for a limited time. They never conceived the idea of a career politician; Washington declined to run for a third term by choice, and every subsequent president until FDR followed his example out of tradition. Presidential term limits didn't become law until FDR, and by then, the power-hungry scoundrels had already begun to exploit the FF's neglect. Its no accident Congress didn't term limit itself in the same amendment.

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

this is why the character issue holds no water.....

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

you guys are emotional and tend to want to insult, or hate the mean guy, like children. i am trying to talk policy, i am talking about what actually improves people lives.

i gave you an exampe of a policy issue where i think trump was wrong. i think it was a valid policy criticism. it wasnt about his character.

lets say you work in oil, and lets say biden shuts down a pipeline and now you are much poorer and now you cant afford a nurse to take care of your elderly parents. thats a real policy outcome. if you are the hypothetical person i describe, woud you be so concerned about trump being an asshole?

do you see how actual policy matters? not procedural nonsense about how the democrats want to manage the russia nonsense?

energy independence is important, not just for our economy, but for the global geopolitical situation. we dont need oil countries like russia and iran to prosper. its better we have our own oil. that is a real issue. and trump was good for energy independence.

and you are worried that he was overheard talking about grabbing pussy?

4. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

did you understand my example of why stalin isnt a good policy guy even though he had the "character" to fight hitler harder than we did? russia sacrificed 24 million to our 600 thousand to defeat hitler. do you want to move to russia now owing to their history of character?

also i dont think our going to war vs germany even had much to do with the holocaust. even if there was no anti-semitic sentiment in germany we woulda gone to war to stop german aggression in europe.

also we are talking about the personal character of the president, not the character of a a nation which can determine their priorities.

calling out trump for saying shit about grabbing pussies is to totally ignore the things that matter for the utterly meaningless.

you notice i am critical of biden for inflation, not the fact that he is a rapist? see how one thing affects 300 million and one is unfortunate for one lady?

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

because its good policy to prevent countries from going aggro and trying to take over everything. its not about the character of the leadership.

there is a genocide of muslims in china now. should we show great character and protect them the way we did with hiter? does our great character require us to overthrow the immoral chinese regime that killed 40 million or whatever in the great leap forward?

6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

we should expect good policy, not good character. if the nicest guy in the world is a communist, it would be better to assassinate him than elect him. policy matters.

7. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

also i should note that biden has incredibly poor character and is a lying piece of shit whose previous presidential candidacy was derailed by the fact that he is a lying plagiarist.

but its not about that. its about his spending us into a depression

8. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

I can't tell you how disappointing it is to hear so many on this board say that character doesn't matter. The sad thing is that I bet you complain about athletes having no character when they get arrested. You are more worried about the character of an athlete than that of elected officials. And more sadly, you will defend that stance.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

this is you trying to call people hypocrites. we are explaining to you that people's lives get better or worse based on govt policy. to not care about policy is to not care about people. to have bad character. why dont you have the character to care about poor people?

10. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

We are not saying policy doesn't matter. We are saying character matters more because it drives good policy. Take immigration. I'm all for controlling our borders. And obviously Trump wants that. But he took it too far because he wanted to reduce LEGAL immigration. He wanted to end or at least greatly reduced H1-B visas. Folks, these immigrants help drive our economy and foster growth. But because Trump didn't want "those people" over here the number of visas was reduced. Now businesses can't find enough workers, which is preventing our economy from roaring back to life. There are help wanted signs all over. All because someone was afraid of "those people". That shows a lack of character driving bad policy. Our Cajun ancestors would not have stood a chance during a Trump presidency because "those people" only spoke French and not English.

Winston1 likes this.