JaMarcus Arrested for Codeine Syrup

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by bhelmLSU, Jul 5, 2010.

1. rockwallfan

rockwallfan Founding Member

How far he's fallen after being the number 1 draft pick, quarterback at that. I kind of feel sorry for the guy. I feel he has to be one of three things: arrogant, stupid or both. If it was arrogant, that should be out the window now after being waived faster than any other #1 draft pick ever. Stupid surfaced today. Get well big guy, there's still a chance. But it's getting to be a longer and longer shot.

Wish I could say, "stop wearing the Bama gear" but must admit it doesn't bother me as much when he does these kinds of things.

2. Mr. B

Mr. B Founding Member

One of the Raiders long time linemen said JR problem and failure was that he didn't have the mentality or couldn't grasp the pro game.

Again sorry couldn't remember his name but I think he was on the Jim Rome show last week.

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I originally was in the camp that he still had time on his side to resurrect his career. But now, seeing that he likely has an opiate addiction, this makes the spiral more understandable, and the ascent required to resuscitate his career much more daunting. It will take him quite a while to overcome addiction, if that is in fact the case, then to re-develop his football skills - both of these require full-time commitments, something he has not shown a knack for thusfar. Don't see him coming back anytime soon, unfortunately. Sad to see.

4. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Its sad to see, but I dont feel sorry for him at all. I wish him the best in getting his life back together.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I agree. I don't necessarily feel sorry, either, but do wish him the best in getting his life back in order. It's a tough issue. There is a lot of pressure to play through injuries and get back on the field, but there is a lot of time between games and seasons where players are in a lot of discomfort and turn to these products. The reliance and addiction can develop pretty quickly and become consuming. Favre seems to have overcome this, but his first step was recognizing it was a problem. Time will tell if JR is able to have this same awareness and strength to overcome.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

add me to the i agree with you camp. it's sad, its a waste of talent, but it is all something he brought on himself, not something out of his control happening to him. these are all choices he made in life. if they were circumstances beyond his control that took him down (getting hit by a car or something like that) i would feel sorry for him. i cant feel sorry for someone because they chose to throw away gifts and opportunities. i can, however, pity them.

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

Thats true, I was reading a USA today article where a former Raider coach said that the team ruined JR, with the lack of teaching and preparing him.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Well at least we know why he sucked so bad in the NFL. Dude was probably leanin the whole time he was playing.

So does this put him on Ryan Leaf's level? They both have drug busts also...

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

From wikipedia, the codeine syrup is used to make a substance called "Purple Drank":

Purple drank is a slang term for a recreational drug popular in the hip hop community in the southern United States. Its main ingredient is prescription-strength cough syrup containing codeine and promethazine.[1] Cough syrup is typically mixed with ingredients such as 7Up soft drink and pieces of Jolly Rancher candy. The purplish hue of purple drank comes from dyes in the cough syrup.

Purple drank is confirmed or suspected to have caused the deaths of several prominent users. Respiratory depression is a potentially serious or fatal adverse drug reaction associated with the use of codeine, but mainly the danger lies in the much more potent and CNS-depressing phenothiazine-related antihistamine promethazine. This depression is dose-related and is the mechanism for the potentially fatal consequences of overdose: respiratory or cardiac arrest. As with most CNS depressants, mixing with alcohol greatly increases the risk of respiratory failure and other complications.

DJ Screw, who popularized the codeine-based drink, died of a codeine-promethazine-alcohol overdose on November 16, 2000, several months after the video to Three 6 Mafia's single debuted.[6]

Big Moe, a DJ Screw protegé whose albums City of Syrup and Purple World were based on the drink and who has been described as having "rapped obsessively about the drug,"[19] died at age 33 on October 14, 2007, after suffering a heart attack one week earlier that left him in a coma.[20] There was speculation that purple drank may have contributed to his death. [14][21]

Pimp C, widely influential Port Arthur, Texas rapper and a member of rap duo UGK, was found dead on December 4, 2007, at the Mondrian Hotel in West Hollywood, California. The Los Angeles County Coroner's office reported that the rapper's death was "due to promethazine/codeine effects and other unestablished factors." Ed Winter, assistant chief of the coroner's office, said the levels of the medication were elevated, but not enough to deem the death an overdose. However, Pimp C had a history of sleep apnea, a condition that causes one to stop breathing for short periods during sleep. A spokesman for the coroner's office said that the combination of sleep apnea and cough medication probably suppressed Pimp C's breathing long enough to bring on his death.[3][19]

In September 2006, Terrence Kiel, a San Diego Chargers player, was arrested during practice for the possession with intent to sell prescription cough syrup for use in making the drink.[2] Kiel was caught trying to ship a case of syrup to a friend via Fed Ex. Kiel was charged with two felony counts of transporting a controlled substance and three counts of possession for sale of a controlled substance.[22]

On July 8, 2008, Johnny Jolly, a Green Bay Packers player, was pulled over in his car for excessive music. The officers found a Dr Pepper bottle in the left cup holder of the center console next to two Styrofoam cups containing soda and ice. The officers said the cups and the bottle all emitted strong odors of codeine.[23] The case has since been dismissed while technicians involved are trained on new equipment.[24] Charges were refiled in December of 2009, however, upon the Houston Police Department's acquisition of new equipment that allowed the police to test the evidence again. Jolly faces a possible maximum sentence of up to twenty years in jail, but because he is a first time offender Jolly is eligible for probation.[25] It is not clear whether or not this was related to Purple drank.

On July 5th, 2010, former Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell was arrested at his home in Mobile, Alabama for possession of codeine syrup. He was arrested as part of an undercover narcotics investigation, and he did not have a prescription. Russell was booked into city jail and released soon afterwards after making his $2,500 bail. [26]

Several legal commercial products loosely based on "purple drank" are marketed in the United States. In June 2008 Innovative Beverage Group, a Houston, Texas-based company, released a beverage called "Drank." The commercial product contains no codeine or promethazine, but claims to "Slow Your Roll" with a combination of herbal ingredients such as valerian root and rose hips as well as the hormone melatonin.[27][28] Similar "relaxation" or "anti-energy" drinks on the commercial market use the names "Purple Stuff" and "Sippin Syrup"

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

it's pretty much liquid opium. same feeling or effect you would get from vicodin, hydrocodone, etc. The problem with the rappers getting killed from it, is they drink that **** like it's kool ade.