J.D. Roberts passes

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, May 25, 2021.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Neworleanssaints.com reports that J.D. Roberts, the 2nd head coach in franchise history, has passed away. Roberts was on the team's original coaching staff in 1967 and was coaching a semipro team in Richmond, VA affiliated with the Saints when he was called back as interim head coach after Tom Fears was fired in mid-season, 1970. Roberts' first game as head coach was the Tom Dempsey 63-yard FG game, and though it would be his only win of '70, Roberts was named head coach full time, and held the job for two seasons.

Archie Manning tells the story of his pro debut in '71 against the LA Rams, guiding the team down the field for the potential winning score in the final minutes. Roberts called their last time out with :02 on the clock and the ball on the Rams' 1 yard line. During the TO, Roberts had no words for his rookie QB; he just kept yelling, "We're gonna win!" Manning returned to the huddle, and when one of the vets asked what play was called, Manning replied, "He didn't say." Then on his own, he called the team's version of one of his favorite plays from Ole Miss, QB Sweep Left, and scored the winning TD.

Roberts was an All American guard and Outland Trophy winner for the U. of Oklahoma in college, and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1993.
    [​IMG]

RHans405, ehusson80 and kcal like this.
  2. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Sad news but awesome post. Appreciate the info. Rest in peace.

mctiger likes this.
  3. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I was there in Tulane stadium for that Detroit game that Dempsey won cept my friends dad who we were with wanted to beat the traffic so we left early. I do remember the roar of the stadium several blocks away when it happened. :)

And interesting story about Manning having to call the last play of the game on his first ever game.

kcal likes this.
  4. mctiger

We had season tickets from '69-'75 and the Dempsey game was the only game my dad missed in all that time. Had a convention in Houston that weekend, so gave our tickets to a friend who took me and my brother. My dad was listening to the game on car radio on the way home and WWL lost signal while the ball was in the air. He punched a big dent in the dashboard.

RHans405 and kcal like this.
  5. mctiger

Former Saints defensive line coach John Pease died today, at age 77. Pease was part of Jim Mora's staff in the USFL and came to the Saints with Mora, and quietly produced excellent lines while DC Steve Sidwell and LB Coach Vic Fangio got the glory. Went to Jacksonville during the Ditka days but returned to work under Haslett. Pease coached four Saints HoF linemen, Jim Wilks, Frank Warren, Wayne Martin and Will Smith.