It's time for a mobile phone upgrade

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, May 12, 2014.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

No, the G2 is a fantastic device. It's easy to see why Google chose it as it's Nexus device.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yes the LG G2 is indeed a fantastic device. Thus, I bought it.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I don't really use the booking thing as most of the courses for this area are ones I don't play.

I love the app because it has all the distances I need, tracks every state you could ever want, fly overs, scorecard it's a badass app and it's free.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I love the LG2. It is a great phone.

I would have to say a screen size of 5.2 inches is probably hitting my threshold for a phone that is comfortable to hold and talk with. And this is a phone that went edge to edge to limit the width of the phone.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

My HTC One M8 decided to go belly up the other day. I pulled out my old HTC One, put the SIM card in and was up and going. First phone call reminded me of why I ditched it. Something is wrong w/ the speaker and you can barely hear. NBD. I cruise into AT&T to see when I am due for an upgrade. They immediately tried to sell me on the Next Plan. Once I convinced them that they couldn't save me money on that plan, they inform me that they don't do the 2 year upgrade anymore.

Fast forward to today. I bought an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S-7. Plugged my SIM in and I'm up and running w/ none of the AT&T bloatware on it. Personally, I was so used to the HTC way of doing things that it will take me a while to get used to it. In the meantime, it sure is nice to be able to hear on calls and have a screen that isn't cracked all to hell.

What phone are y'all using these days?

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The Next Plan actually saves my family money. Not much but some. The terms may be different now. The per line rebate is where I saved money.

I have the S7 Edge and love it. Wife got the Active version and really likes it too. Shatterproof is why she picked the active over the S7.

7. KyleK

From what the guys at the AT&T store told me, all of the S7's are waterproof. Guess I should have checked on the shatterproof...I hate cases.

The Next Plan doesn't save me money because I have stubbornly stuck with my Unlimited Data/Text Plan w/ Rollover minutes. I could leave my phone connected all month and I don't think I would be charged. AT&T has tried to get people away from that plan but I always resisted. Now, with the unlocked phone, I can use it as a hotspot without their surcharge. This is going to make my life so much easier.

I really liked the Edge, but didn't want to pay the extra $100 as I was buying it outright. I got a pretty decent deal at Best Buy (they have haggle room) but I didn't even think about the Active until you mentioned it. May have to do a swap.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

2 yrs ago i fought them for the 2 yr plan and they screwed me by changing my data plan automatically which cost me just as much in the long run. im up for an upgrade and ill probably be ordering one from china for 100 bucks.

i have a note edge. really good phone but time for something different.

htc used to be really good for that forward speaker so you could hear speaker phone a lot better. for calls or milf$ videos.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

cases are a downer for me also. i get the least restrictive one i can, for the back mostly. those screen protector films are a scam. you dont need them. id like an s7 but no removable battery or sd card slot. may as well have an iphone.

they should be coming out with a new edge right? i havent kept up so maybe they have. its a good phone. cost was close to a grand new thats why i got the 2 yr. i wasnt paying that.

10. KyleK

@tirk Yeah, I thought I was on a 2 year plan. They never told me...just changed it. You can find the S7 for $550-$560 online new. I bought mine at Best Buy for $640. I needed it now, so bought local. The other phone that I considered was the OnePlus 3. It's rated very highly by all of the people who rate such things. The no SD card didn't really bother me as I never used the one on my HTC. My ex gets me these little rubber credit card holder thingies that stick to the back of the phone that make it much less slippery. I'll need to get one of those today.

Not sure about a new Edge. The one I saw was pretty fantastic looking, just $100 more.